My Retirement Date is 10/18/09

mrpd114

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi folks! New to this forum but glad I found it. I will retire from a 32-year law enforcement career in six days. I am 56. In many ways this IS an early retirement. It seems to have taken so long to get here over the past year or so. I know the feeling of having to wait those last couple of years or months or days. It will sneak up on most of you...

Dennis

Hey Dennis,...congrats dude and well done! 30 yr copper myself and going 0n 12/18/09 to the other side....just joined this thing 5 minutes ago so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

Your going out 3 months to the day after I leave. Good job.

I just joined this forum about 90 minutes ago. Good coincidence. Have a safe journey bud!

Uh, oh, more police--we are going to have to behave ourselves. As if that's possible :)

Welcome and congratulations on the retirements, to both of you! There are several in your soon-to-be-former profession here.

You don't have to behave on my account. I didn't like writing tickets anyway and we all had our rowdy days..

Welcome. :police:

We look forward to your contributions.

WooooHooooooo.....Free Pass :clap:
Just kidding.
Welcome to the forum to both newcomers in this thread and by all means share your countdowns. :D

... and I thought we were going to have to have the mods delete the did you smoke pot thread. :ROFLMAO:

... and I thought we were going to have to have the mods delete the did you smoke pot thread. :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure it is only coincidental we have a number of [-]narcs[/-] law enforcement officers register on the forum a few days after that poll...

Welcome! You have the right to remain silent - but lurking isn't much fun, so join in the conversation.

Welcome to the forum! I also retired after 29 years in law enforcement.

There are a number of others here also. I think you'll find the forum informative as long as you don't get addicted to it....

I smoked pot twice in 1968 at a friends house. The second time it was laced with something. Bad experience and it cured my curiosity. Never tried the heavy stuff.

During my career I didn't care about pot smokers. I focused on the more dangerous societal issues..

OK, I officially retired on 10/19 (our police code for "returning to the station", which I did for the last time!) Been good so far, but I know I will be looking for something else to do before long.

At least I'll a bit more time to post on this site.

And where have you been since 10/20 -- enjoying your freedom too much to remember us :) ?

CONGRATULATIONS!

Congratulations, mrpd114!

I retired in early November and I agree, it's ben SO good, so far. :D

Bestwifeever, you "busted" me on that one. I plead guilty to temporary abandonment of this great site. I will try to make up for the lost time, but as W2R said, it's been good so far!

Barbell

Hey Dennis....(and others) been awhile since I have been here, but I did pull the trigger on e/r on 12/18/09 and now have had weeks to evaluate the first stages. After 30 years of looking (and usually finding) the worst in folks, I feel like a 200 lb barbell is off my chest!!!!! What a joy to find the best in folks for a change!!!!....I honestly feel like I know what it feels like to win the lottery and begin a new life......probably will return to some sort of activity but like others have said here, "It will be on MY terms!!"..mike

Hey Mike, congratulations on your pulling the pin! You deserved it. Feels good, doesn't it!!

W2R, you mentioned on 12/16 that your retirement has been "good so far" How you doing now. Any adjustment issues? It took me a couple of weeks to adjust and realize I was not just on vacation.

Been awhile since I have posted here too. My only excuse is that, like many have said, I am busier in my retirement than I was while working, or so it seems. Been almost 4 months now. Moved upstate to a brand new house in Redding, Ca and finally getting settled in. Starting to plan a trip to Hawaii in a few weeks. Need to relax...

W2R, you mentioned on 12/16 that your retirement has been "good so far" How you doing now. Any adjustment issues? It took me a couple of weeks to adjust and realize I was not just on vacation.

I think I still must be adjusting, because I am still on cloud nine and I haven't become bored yet either.

I guess the only adjustment issue is that because I enjoy the early morning hours, I think would like to get up earlier than I have been. This would also entail going to bed earlier than I have been. However, getting up earlier hasn't been a serious enough wish to inspire me to set my alarm.

This is definitely better than a vacation, just as a vacation is better than a weekend.

Late to this thread, but welcome mrpd114 and geerman. I love it, geerman, that you can now look for the best in people. I am sure that both of you have seen way too much of the bad in people. Glad to hear that you are both enjoying retirement. I will be retired 4 years 6/2 and the time has flown. Enjoying every minute of it also.

Congratulations geerman and mrpd on your recent retirements. It has only been 3 weeks since I RE'ed and since then we have moved from Louisiana back to Texas to be close to the kids.

Life is racing by with so much to do - I also have not settled down from cloud 9. I e-mailed a couple of friends today apologizing for not contacting them sooner as I'd promised to meet up for lunch or dinner.

We now have all the dates set for 3 extended vacations this year and have booked accommodations etc.

W2R, I used to be up at 4:15 a.m. to prepare for my 12 hour work days and in bed by 10:00. Since retirement in October I have been getting up at 8-9 and staying up till 12:30-2:00 a.m. I am finally starting to settle into an earlier bedtime schedule to get something done during the day from my long to-do list.

Alan, congrats to you too. Where are you going on those vacations? We are thinking Hawaii (Oahu/Big Island) next month, probably a Carib cruise/Florida sightseeing trip after that, then Texas to visit relatives. In the planning stages...

Alan, congrats to you too. Where are you going on those vacations? We are thinking Hawaii (Oahu/Big Island) next month, probably a Carib cruise/Florida sightseeing trip after that, then Texas to visit relatives. In the planning stages...

We plan on spending the month of May in Colorado - we have a house rented in Salida.

July 3rd we are flying to England for 6 weeks. 2 of those weeks will be at York University for the Yorkshire Genealogy conference, the rest will be travelling around the country via train visiting relatives and friends plus some fun stuff for us including a few days in London.

In September we have 4 - 6 weeks in Canada including a big family re-union of DW's relatives who coming in from various locations in Canada, England, Scotland and Germany. Half of the time will be in 3 locations, Niagara on the Lake, Toronto, and Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. We will driving up from Texas visiting friends on the way up and back.

However, getting up earlier hasn't been a serious enough wish to inspire me to set my alarm.

One of my "retirement dreams" was to take a huge wooden mallet and smash the alarm clock. DW persuaded me to restrain my destructive impulses. Plus she said I'd have to buy a new nightstand if I scratched it.:LOL:

One of my "retirement dreams" was to take a huge wooden mallet and smash the alarm clock. DW persuaded me to restrain my destructive impulses. Plus she said I'd have to buy a new nightstand if I scratched it.:LOL:

I was going to throw mine into Lake Ponchartrain. But then, it occurred to me that sometimes I might want to get up early to do something fun. So far, in over 3 months I have used it ONCE - - when Frank said he would pick me up at 9 AM to head north on a day trip, back in December.

Back
Top Bottom