My son just got his first dose Covid vaccine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am surprised at the emotions our family experienced when our son went to employee health and received his first dose. He works part time as a medical scribe and 80% of his job and 60% of his time is computer only. So he has been working from home for the past 3 weeks, with a substantial cut in hours and pay.

Thanks to former colleagues on Facebook, I found that the hospital is very actively vaccinating staff. Because of that, he called employee health and drove in just for the vaccine. He said it was utterly painless. As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.

The light at the end of the tunnel just got a little brighter.

As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.

Do you mean the after of the shots?

I hate all shots, to me they are all "painful".

Great news! I know how you feel. My daughter is a nurse working in a nursing home and got hers this past Saturday. I work as a pediatric hospitalist and I’m supposed to receive mine when I get back to work in two weeks (I live in one state but work in another) I’m looking forward to it : )

Definitely a first glimpse of the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel.

I am surprised at the emotions our family experienced when our son went to employee health and received his first dose. He works part time as a medical scribe and 80% of his job and 60% of his time is computer only. So he has been working from home for the past 3 weeks, with a substantial cut in hours and pay.

Thanks to former colleagues on Facebook, I found that the hospital is very actively vaccinating staff. Because of that, he called employee health and drove in just for the vaccine. He said it was utterly painless. As a pediatrician, both first and second hand, I can say that Shingrix and measles vaccines hurt like h**l and hepatitis B vaccine is painless, and the rest are in between.

The light at the end of the tunnel just got a little brighter.

DD received hers as she works in a clinic. It was a great feeling and did push up the hope meter. No problems with the staff so far. They reach out to the community tomorrow.

There's more than one COVID-19 vaccine being given.

I didn't start a thread to mention it, but I received Moderna a week ago. No side-effects, other than mild soreness in the area of injection for a couple days, more than a flu shot, which I normally don't notice at all.

I've heard side effects are more of an issue after the second dose, though.

It looks like I was very early among those receiving the vaccine, and I work from home 4 days per week, have no patient contact, and am a healthy GenXer. But since I'm employed by a health care facility, I got early access immediately after the front line health care staff.

Also, I mentioned in the COVID distribution thread, but the UK variant that has caused a lot of concern has been identified in someone in the U.S.

Last edited:
I received the Moderna vaccine yesterday morning. It felt like the flu shot. My arm is still a little sore today.

All of our hospital system staff, regardless if they are clinical vs non-clinical are being offered the vaccine.

Great news! I know how you feel. My daughter is a nurse working in a nursing home and got hers this past Saturday. I work as a pediatric hospitalist and I’m supposed to receive mine when I get back to work in two weeks (I live in one state but work in another) I’m looking forward to it : )

Definitely a first glimpse of the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel.

Try to get your vaccine ASAP. It takes awhile to develop immunity. I was a pediatric hospitalist until I retired in 2019.

Do you mean the after of the shots?

I hate all shots, to me they are all "painful".

I'm a needle phobe. I literally did not feel my three Hepatitis B shots. Flu vaccine hurts a little. MMR and shingles vaccines are extremely painful. The technology of the needles themselves have continued to improve. A vaccine in the muscle doesn't hurt much. A penicillin or ceftriaxone shot is horrible compared to any vaccine. Ceftriaxone hurts so much we mix it up with local anesthetic!

All is well,.. Sars, ..Mercer, and numerous strains of covid related maladies have been quelled.

Interesting how different states and healthcare facilities prioritize staff. My doctor daughter, a resident in a NY hospital, who now works on the Covid floors hasn’t been vaccinated. She has no idea when they might be available to her and the other residents. Residents have ‘caught’ Covid at the hospital already. It’s frightening!

That should not happen. Stanford also prioritized administrators over the residents. The residents protested in the lobby and they changed their tune. Your daughter should contact the residency coordinator regarding this.

Within our local hospital systems, the ER, ICU nurses and residents, as well as other staff such as Xray techs and respiratory therapists working with COVID patients were absolutely first in line. Then others with patient exposure are next. DS falls into that category. He is able to do about 80% of his work remotely. He has been working from home but it is not ideal. He should be able to go in starting in early February.

That should not happen. Stanford also prioritized administrators over the residents. The residents protested in the lobby and they changed their tune. Your daughter should contact the residency coordinator regarding this.

Within our local hospital systems, the ER, ICU nurses and residents, as well as other staff such as Xray techs and respiratory therapists working with COVID patients were absolutely first in line. Then others with patient exposure are next. DS falls into that category. He is able to do about 80% of his work remotely. He has been working from home but it is not ideal. He should be able to go in starting in early February.

Agreed. We’ll see what happens.

Got our fingers crossed for us over 65 'civilians'. DW has us booked for the Texas Gulf in April. She is chomping at the bit. Pre Covid we did Florida in December and Texas in February.

Heh heh heh - :cool: ? Light at the end of the tunnel? :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom