NBA not showing signs of a bad economy

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Amare Stoudemire agrees to a $100M contract. Nowitzki re-signs for $80M. Joe Johnson, who I've never even heard of (I don't follow the NBA very closely) re-signs with Atlanta for $119M. And there are still the marquee free agents, Lebron James and Dwayne Wade, left to get huge contracts. I guess as long as people keep buying tickets and logo merchandise this will continue. I like watching sports but I won't pay for a high priced ticket to support those salaries. I wonder just how much of this I'm still paying for through corporations passing along the cost of advertising on TV. And outside of the playing contract is the extra cost built into shoes and apparel that Nike and others are paying these guys to shill their stuff.

The demographic that can afford NBA season tickets isn't likely to be the demographic that gets slaughtered in a deep recession.

I wonder just how much of this I'm still paying for through corporations passing along the cost of advertising on TV.

You are paying for it through advertising costs in the products you buy and tax subsidies for the teams/areans. More money is coming out of your pocket through cable subscriber fees.

Many cable channels would be out of business if there was an ala cart system.

The cable channels loose money on major sports if you only look at ad $. But, with sub fee increases they make money. Also, Sports is good for promoting other shows and bringing in a younger audience.

Cable television in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ESPN typically charges $4.08 per subscriber per month for access to its sporting event coverage, the highest of any American cable channel

Back
Top Bottom