New Car Buying Hasn't Changed

I had a new company provided Ford every year (for a year and one day). Everything for Taurus to Lincoln to Escape. There were quite a few of these cars in the fleet.

There were at least four dealerships within easy reach. I (and others) found a huge difference between their service depts.

As luck would have it the one downtown near our office was excellent. The one in the burbs closest to me was a disaster and their reputation spread.

What makes a 'bad' dealer? I think there are fewer now that they have been acquired or merged.
If you've ever dealt with one, the question is self answering. How about, We seem to have lost the keys to your trade in. Have a seat in the office with the salesman while we look.

If you've ever dealt with one, the question is self answering. How about, We seem to have lost the keys to your trade in. Have a seat in the office with the salesman while we look.

The 1970's just called. They found your keys.

Yep. Happened to DS. However it made for a very bad day for all involved. I'm absolutely certain the salesman is not selling cars after the dealership threw him under the bus. Figuratively. There's a reason why I don't trade in cars or sell houses.

Happened to me once, many years ago. I stood up in the showroom and began shouting, "Whaddya mean you lost my keys!!!? What kind of sleazy dealership are you running!!!? Are you attempting to hold me hostage to get me to agree to your price!!!?" Everyone in the place was staring at me. :)

They found them quickly.

Dealerships are independent businesses and determine their own business practices. One would think that they dance to the manufacturer's tune, but that its not the case. Local and state laws give them a lot of autonomy. One of the "good" things about the Great Recession was it was an excuse for manufacturers to get rid of a lot of the worst dealerships.

Here locally if you want a Toyota the dealer has to buy from the regional distributor who adds a bunch of expensive junk like pin striping, etc.

So I leased my last one out-of-state...put one of the kids on a cheap flight (Frontier) up to PA to pick it up & drive it back.

I think I remember you! You are the salesman that did NOT sell me a car! And I'm not your pal.
You won't be here long, but I've put you on IGNORE in the meantime. Goodbye.

Happened to me....
After some discussion and not finding my keys. I insisted they must have been stolen, so now we call the police. Suddenly they were found.

I bought a car at a different dealer.

I thought the was some light hearted metaphorical banter going on here. Not so sure any more.

No salesperson has been my pal. I've never had my keys taken. I did have a deposit taken under false pretenses and held for my state's legal holding period.

Back
Top Bottom