New guy - no more lurking!

Budman

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everyone,
I decided to decloak and have enjoyed the many posts I have read. Great site. I am getting closer to retirement and I am getting anxious. Uncertain what to expect. Afraid, I could be bored, but want my freedom. I'm really getting tired of the drugery of going in each morning and the stressful days. I believe I will retire the end of this year and certainly no later than May 1, 2008. DW retired several years ago, but is currently tied down as an the President of a running club until the end of this year. Quite time consuming. We have reached the FI threshold according to Firecalc and other calculators. By the end of this week DW will be 59 and I will be 58. I need a good countdown retirement calculator! - Budman :)

Welcome to the board, Budman.

I haven't thought of that character in years...

Welcome to the board.
Think of what you want to do when you retire and start doing it now.
Many people say that when they retire they will do _____ and never get around to it.
All the best on your quest

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Welcome aboard, Budman.

So, what would make you wait until May, 2008?
[/quote
To maximize the lump sum retirement calculation. Bonuses are paid out and included in the lump sum retirement calculation.

I am having difficulty making replies. I see I have a learning curve.

Budman said:
I am having difficulty making replies. I see I have a learning curve.

No problem. Just like in the real world, by the time you figure out how to quote and reply we will change to an entirely different software! ;)

Nords said:
Welcome to the board, Budman.

I haven't thought of that character in years...

I couldn't find a name that was not already in use that suited me. I like Budweiser so.... I bet this post doesn't work like I intend either.

Budman said:
So how do you quote and reply?

Just click the quote button and your reply will appear in the Quick Reply box below. Make sure you start your own part of the message BELOW the "[/quote]" tag. Then click Post or Preview (if you want to see how your message will look).

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Just click the quote button and your reply will appear in the Quick Reply box below. Make sure you start your own part of the message BELOW the "" tag. Then click Post or Preview (if you want to see how your message will look).

Okay, my previous post looked okay, but that was luck. Let's see if I can carry out your instructions.

Budman said:
Okay, my previous post looked okay, but that was luck. Let's see if I can carry out your instructions.

Okay! That works! Thanks Rich_in_Tampa!

d0ug said:
Welcome to the board.
Think of what you want to do when you retire and start doing it now.
Many people say that when they retire they will do _____ and never get around to it.
All the best on your quest

One of the things I want to do is circumnavigate the Great Loop. I have quite a few boating excursions and travel planned. I also have a goal to run a Marathon in every state.

Shoot...I have to go back to work now, lunch is over. Be back tonight.

Budman said:
One of the things I want to do is circumnavigate the Great Loop. I have quite a few boating excursions and travel planned. I also have a goal to run a Marathon in every state.

Shoot...I have to go back to work now, lunch is over. Be back tonight.

Have you bought your boat yet or your running shoes?

Budman said:
One of the things I want to do is circumnavigate the Great Loop. I have quite a few boating excursions and travel planned.

Ahh, a man after my own heart. Is the great loop the intercoastal and down the mississippi? I could easy spend a year on just that one idea. I don't think you will be bored budman.

Dave

d0ug said:
Have you bought your boat yet or your running shoes?

Yes, to both questions. I have run many Marathons, 22 so far, with 13 states down. I will need to crank up the number of Marathons per year once I retire. With respect to the boat, I have a bayliner motoryacht and have been in boating for nearly 20 years. Actually, it is our fifth boat...boating is a disease by the way. :LOL:

Scarab Dave said:
Ahh, a man after my own heart. Is the great loop the intercoastal and down the mississippi? I could easy spend a year on just that one idea. I don't think you will be bored budman.

Dave

From where we would start, the Great Loop begins in Lake Erie, up the Detroit river to Lake St. Clair to Lake Huron to Lake Michigan to the Chicago river to the mississippi to the Tennessee River to the Tom Higgbee waterway exiting into the Gulf of Mexico, traveling down the Florida coastline to Key West, back up the Gulf to Ft. Myers then traversing through Lake Okeechobee to the Atlantic side of Florida and then traveling North on the intercoastal to New York Harbor to Hudson river to Erie Canal to Oswego river to Lake Ontario and back to Lake Erie. Now I left out quite a bit and I have already done the Trent Severn waterway, so we shall have made the entire Circle. I really look at the eastern part of the US as one big island to circumnavigate. Sound Fun? We are excited to start...perhaps next year!

Budman said:
Yes, to both questions. I have run many Marathons, 22 so far, with 13 states down. I will need to crank up the number of Marathons per year once I retire. With respect to the boat, I have a bayliner motoryacht and have been in boating for nearly 20 years. Actually, it is our fifth boat...boating is a disease by the way. :LOL:

From what you wrote I know you are going to do it. I sailed the caribbean and know the boating life.
All the best on your quest and go for it

Budman said:
One of the things I want to do is circumnavigate the Great Loop.

Welcome! My parents are boaters also (both age 58) and are planning the same trip! They have been boating since before I was born and are currently working on the complete renovation of a 1974 trawler :)

My dad "retired" to part-time consulting work 5 years ago, and my mom is done at the end of next year, so my dad will also stop consulting. My dad now wonders how they managed to get anything done with both of them working full-time, and my mom recently cut back on her hours and now wonders what she was thinking all those years of full-time +! We kept trying to tell her... ;)

WM said:
Welcome! My parents are boaters also (both age 58) and are planning the same trip! They have been boating since before I was born and are currently working on the complete renovation of a 1974 trawler :)

My dad "retired" to part-time consulting work 5 years ago, and my mom is done at the end of next year, so my dad will also stop consulting. My dad now wonders how they managed to get anything done with both of them working full-time, and my mom recently cut back on her hours and now wonders what she was thinking all those years of full-time +! We kept trying to tell her... ;)

Thanks for the welcome! :) When would your parents have the renovation complete and start the Loop? We will likely begin the Loop about mid-Aug 2008. Perhaps we will run into them...not literally :LOL: We are the same age as your parents.

Wouldn't surprise me if you did see each other - it seems to be a small community of very friendly people :)

Not sure exactly what their plans are, and they have a long way to go on the boat. They are hoping to be done in the summer of 2008, but it will be ready for traveling this summer, if not cosmetically finished. I think they are planning on taking some smaller trips to prepare, since they have never done anything as long-distance as the Loop. Our typical trips were along the Trent-Severn waterway in Canada (live in Cleveland). Right now, the boat is out of the water (Lake Erie)for the winter, so they've set up a tarp over it and brought in a kerosene heater and have been working on the interior even in the freezing cold. Complete fanatics! They are having a lot of fun working on it and making plans, it's fun to see.

Budman said:
From where we would start, the Great Loop begins in Lake Erie, up the Detroit river to Lake St. Clair to Lake Huron to Lake Michigan to the Chicago river to the mississippi to the Tennessee River to the Tom Higgbee waterway exiting into the Gulf of Mexico, traveling down the Florida coastline to Key West, back up the Gulf to Ft. Myers then traversing through Lake Okeechobee to the Atlantic side of Florida and then traveling North on the intercoastal to New York Harbor to Hudson river to Erie Canal to Oswego river to Lake Ontario and back to Lake Erie. Now I left out quite a bit and I have already done the Trent Severn waterway, so we shall have made the entire Circle. I really look at the eastern part of the US as one big island to circumnavigate. Sound Fun? We are excited to start...perhaps next year!

It does sound like fun budman! Many like to explore other countries. I just want to thoruoughly see and enjoy my own. No better way to do that, at least 1/2 of it, than your plan above. Have fun bud.

Dave

My Dream said:
Welcome Budman, just curious as to the name, care to share?

I like Budweiser and now I am equiped with a picture of the original Budman!

Budman said:
By the end of this week DW will be 59 and I will be 58.

Welcome, and happy birthday greetings to you and your wife!

Back
Top Bottom