New Medicare Card Scam

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My PSA for today. This was just posted on a local neighborhood social media site:
The County Sheriff’s Office is reminding local Medicare recipients to be on the alert for scammers calling mobile phones and landlines with false claims from a Medicare “imposter” attempting to verify the number on their newly received Medicare card.

As County residents continue to receive these replacement cards, the Sheriff’s Office Fraud Line has seen an uptick in complaints from beneficiaries reporting a variety of scam attempts in order to obtain Personally Identifying Information.

In some cases, the fraudster has reportedly confirmed the complainant's name, address and date of birth, making it appear the call is legitimate.

Here are a few things you should know to help protect yourself from becoming a victim of this scam:
1. There is nothing you need to do to receive your new Medicare card. If you are a current beneficiary, you will automatically receive the card in the mail with your new Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) made up of 11 letters and numbers.
2. Medicare will not call you to confirm you received your new card or ask you to update your information in order to get a new card.
3. Medicare will not call you and ask you to provide your personal banking information, your health information or your social security number.
4. Do not be fooled by Caller ID. Scammers will “spoof” phone numbers in order to make it look like the call is coming from a local number or even a real Medicare number.

Hang up immediately should anyone call you claiming to be Medicare, no matter what your Caller ID says.

If you have already disclosed personal information such as your social security number to a fraudulent “Medicare” representative, there are certain steps you can take to protect yourself from identity theft. For more information, call the County Sheriff's Office Fraud Line.
omni

My PSA for today. This was just posted on a local neighborhood social media site:
The County Sheriff’s Office is reminding local Medicare recipients to be on the alert for scammers calling mobile phones and landlines with false claims from a Medicare “imposter” attempting to verify the number on their newly received Medicare card.

As County residents continue to receive these replacement cards, the Sheriff’s Office Fraud Line has seen an uptick in complaints from beneficiaries reporting a variety of scam attempts in order to obtain Personally Identifying Information.

In some cases, the fraudster has reportedly confirmed the complainant's name, address and date of birth, making it appear the call is legitimate.

Here are a few things you should know to help protect yourself from becoming a victim of this scam:
1. There is nothing you need to do to receive your new Medicare card. If you are a current beneficiary, you will automatically receive the card in the mail with your new Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) made up of 11 letters and numbers.
2. Medicare will not call you to confirm you received your new card or ask you to update your information in order to get a new card.
3. Medicare will not call you and ask you to provide your personal banking information, your health information or your social security number.
4. Do not be fooled by Caller ID. Scammers will “spoof” phone numbers in order to make it look like the call is coming from a local number or even a real Medicare number.

Hang up immediately should anyone call you claiming to be Medicare, no matter what your Caller ID says.

If you have already disclosed personal information such as your social security number to a fraudulent “Medicare” representative, there are certain steps you can take to protect yourself from identity theft. For more information, call the County Sheriff's Office Fraud Line.
omni
+1

I've received about 30 calls from them. They listened to all the physically impossible suggestions I made.

This is apparently widespread, I've heard of it happening here in WV although I personally have not received any calls.

My husband and I have not received our new Medicare cards even though the cards for our state have all been mailed out. DH got an email telling him to call Medicare about our cards (it was legit). We called Medicare (after a long hold) and found out that for some reason our cards were not mailed, that we had to verify our address to get them. So it is possible you will get a legit email telling you to call Medicare about your new card.

Back
Top Bottom