New Study on Vitamin D and COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swarthy Italian

As somebody who came from swarthy Italian stock, I probably should take a bit more vitamin D. My understanding is that is more a hormone than a vitamin.

Dr. Patrick chatting with Joe Rogan

Maybe all that running and walking will pay off?

My legs and arms are tanned all year because of my runs in the park. Never been tested for vitamin D though. I get out early in the AM to avoid too much UV and heat.

I encourage people to get their vitamin D levels tested. You may think you get plenty of sun and thus have good vitamin D levels, but as we get older our ability to manufacture vitamin D drops drastically. It’s quite common for older folks to be quite deficient. Also the darker your skin the more likely you are deficient. My doc scoffs at people being able to get enough vitamin D from sun exposure because we aren’t “running around outside naked all day”.

It appears that white skin in more northern latitudes developed quite recently when humans were no longer able to get plenty of Vitamin D from their animal rich diet and transitioned to small animals and farming. https://www.ancient-origins.net/new...eloped-europe-only-recently-8000-years-020287

Last edited:
Hmmm...I'll ask for a Vitamin D test for my next physical coming up soon, thanks. I do take a multi-vitamin that give 50% of the recommended dose apparently.

I am Caucasian and tan easily, so is that "dark skin" ? I would think "dark skin" applies to non-Whites.

Hmmm...I'll ask for a Vitamin D test for my next physical coming up soon, thanks. I do take a multi-vitamin that give 50% of the recommended dose apparently.

I am Caucasian and tan easily, so is that "dark skin" ? I would think "dark skin" applies to non-Whites.
No. If you are more likely to tan then burn, you have more melanin in your skin which means you make less vitamin D from sunshine.

A couple of years ago, I finally convinced DH to get his vitamin D level tested. It was 22 ng/ml which is pretty low. His doctor agreed he should take a supplement to raise it, so he started 5000IU most days. Unfortunately he forgot to get it remeasured a year later. :facepalm:

Dr. John Campbell, who's video I've linked below, has a lot to say on this topic and I also watch MedCram's Covid-19 reports as my sources. I think that both provide excellent science based, apolitical information on the coronavirus, so if you become as convinced of the usefulness of vitamin D as I am, please consider helping to spread the word.
I use both of those sources as well. I found another one that I consider helpful: Dr. Mobeen Syed. https://youtu.be/mg2eBhGB3T8?t=285

I cued the video after the introduction, because not only is he an MD and a software designer, he's also an artist! He does live presentations, so they tend to go long, but as a plus, if you get on when he's talking, you can ask questions. And if you're lucky Luffy (his cat) will meow in the background, hehe!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom