No more H2?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
"Hence, it's heavily rumored that GM will soon kill the model entirely, which is already being supplanted by a slew of smaller, less disgusting H2 offspring like the H3 and the H3 pickup and the H3 whatever-the-hell-else-they-can-think-of to milk this horrible idea until it's deader than Dick Cheney's black soul at a pagan tree festival."

Rejoice, The Hummer Is Dead / It might be the end of the world's most phallically sad SUV. But has the damage been done?

The only REAL HUMMER is the one the soldiers are using in Iraq..........everything else is a wannebe.........:D

The absurdity of seeing a "Hummer" on an American highway continues to mystify me.

Somehow the H2 and H3 don't have much cachet here in New Orleans any more, since we have so many well-used, filthy, camoflauge H1's running around here with National Guard trying to establish order out of chaos.

Many of our streets are so bad due to potholes and flood damage that it is hard to get around in a conventional car, and in some spots you have to go offroad because the streets are not passable.

Hard to explain, but H2's and H3's just don't seem cool or glamorous any more. I really would rather not see a single H2 or H3 again! New, smooth blacktop is what's cool and glamorous to me.

a friend of mine in sarasota has whatever is the largest, most chromed-out h in existance. it is like driving an earthmover. what a pig of a car.

Somehow the H2 and H3 don't have much cachet here in New Orleans any more, since we have so many well-used, filthy, camoflauge H1's running around here with National Guard trying to establish order out of chaos.

Many of our streets are so bad due to potholes and flood damage that it is hard to get around in a conventional car, and in some spots you have to go offroad because the streets are not passable.

Hard to explain, but H2's and H3's just don't seem cool or glamorous any more. I really would rather not see a single H2 or H3 again! New, smooth blacktop is what's cool and glamorous to me.

Want2,
Just curious, what part of New Orleans do you live? My dermatologist from Tulane lives in the garden district. Tulane has a clinic here in central MS and he works there 2 weeks per month. He says things are coming back slowly. I also have a buddy that lives in Algeries(spelling?). He still likes it down there even with all the problems.

Want2,
Just curious, what part of New Orleans do you live? My dermatologist from Tulane lives in the garden district. Tulane has a clinic here in central MS and he works there 2 weeks per month. He says things are coming back slowly. I also have a buddy that lives in Algeries(spelling?). He still likes it down there even with all the problems.
Dawg52, I'm in about a mile from the good side of the 17th St. Canal. My suburb flooded up to 6' but not as deep as New Orleans, and the water didn't sit there for as long. So, we are doing pretty well other than the crowds and traffic here since the storm. I didn't get flooding in my house.

We spend a lot of time driving through the bad areas, though, because Frank's family lives in Lake Terrace. So to get there, or to get to other places, we drive through Lakeview (stop at 2Tonys at the 17th St. Canal and have lunch with the H1 crowd), or else come up from the "good areas" through Gentilly (only WISH the H1 crowd was more visible there). St Bernard Ave and Paris Ave have been almost impassable on and off since the storm.

I have had a cracked tailbone that has hurt since last August due to the potholes. It doesn't heal because it keeps getting aggravated. (sigh)

The Garden District is near the river and like other areas near the river such as Uptown, the CBD, and the French Quarter, only experienced limited damage to begin with (compared with rest of east bank New Orleans including Lakeview, St. Bernard Parish, Gentilly, Mid-City, Central City, New Orleans East, Venetian Isles, and on and on). Your dermatologist is right - - the recovery has been unbelievably slow. But gradually some things are coming back. It will be decades before the area is recovered enough for me to want to stay here, though before the storm I never considered leaving.

UncleMick was smart to get out. We have 2.5 more years until we qualify to retire, and we tentatively plan to leave at that time. It's sad.

Last edited:
I have had a cracked tailbone that has hurt since last August due to the potholes. It doesn't heal because it keeps getting aggravated. (sigh)

UncleMick was smart to get out. We have 2.5 more years until we qualify to retire, and we tentatively plan to leave at that time. It's sad.

Wow, thats some potholes. I don't blame you though, I would get the heck out of there when you retire. If another hurricane comes through, it will be ugly again.

Wow, thats some potholes. I don't blame you though, I would get the heck out of there when you retire. If another hurricane comes through, it will be ugly again.

You're right. I was able to deal with the Katrina aftermath, but at 57 (at the time), it pushed me to my physical and mental limits. It was awfully hard on the elderly here. It was tragic to see what many of them went through. I tried to help, but it was too much.

There were/are several potholes that are big enough to swallow a car, more than four feet deep. It's more like the flooding got under the street, and when the water went away the street collapsed. My tailbone pain didn't start with any that bad, but from repeated slamming from some other formidable potholes. It would just start to get better, and then *POW!* :bat: Not my idea of fun. Ow. I sit on a thick, folded up blanket in Frank's Murano because he drives through more rugged areas than I would.

Someone I know managed to total his Cadillac by hitting a pothole on a major street in 2005. It was one of those big ones. :) Someone else I know had to have his wheels (not just his tires) replaced on his two year old car due to hitting potholes. Luckily, the city has started filling in the worst ones and each one that is filled in again, is wonderful. Nothing sexier than a smooth street surface.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause topic drift! >:D

"Hence, it's heavily rumored that GM will soon kill the model entirely, which is already being supplanted by a slew of smaller, less disgusting H2 offspring like the H3 and the H3 pickup and the H3 whatever-the-hell-else-they-can-think-of to milk this horrible idea until it's deader than Dick Cheney's black soul at a pagan tree festival."

Rejoice, The Hummer Is Dead / It might be the end of the world's most phallically sad SUV. But has the damage been done?

Good riddance, Hummers have got to be the most disgusting vehicles ever produced...disgusting to look at obscene to drive (in every sense of the word).

"Real soldiers are dying in their Hummers so I can play soldier in mine" - forget where I saw that, but someone should slap that bumpersticker on every hummer they see...

IIRC the H2 is just a Yukon with a different body and interior whacked on it.

You are correct. The closest thing to a real Humvee was the H1, but even that was a Humvee light. They had to take away some of the ruggedness to make it civilized so it could be driven it on a street. If they would have kept it complete, like the real Humvee, to many of the wealthy people who purchased them would complain.

I think they look kind of cool and would like to take one for a drive. I've logged many hours in the Army variant, and would like to see what the civilian model is like.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the H2. I prefer my 3/4 ton pickup for towing and work tho.

13 mpg is about double what the military hummers get. And I bet the civilian model actually has some pollution controls on it too...

Choose a vehicle and drive it if you want. There is no law about driving low MPG vehicles. It may not make financial sense to some of us.

I love my 50 mpg Jetta diesel, but it won't tow my boat or camper. It won't haul lumber, cordwood, or 4x8 sheets of plywood either.

:cool:. It won't haul lumber, cordwood, or 4x8 sheets of plywood either.

Get that stuff delivered. Problem solved. Boat, hey keep it at the marina, camper? Hiltons or Marriotts.

Boy ain't I a wise arse!!:duh:

You are correct. The closest thing to a real Humvee was the H1, but even that was a Humvee light. They had to take away some of the ruggedness to make it civilized so it could be driven it on a street. If they would have kept it complete, like the real Humvee, to many of the wealthy people who purchased them would complain.

I thought a Humvee WAS an H1. You mean civilians could actually just go to their Hummer dealer and buy an H1 at one time? OK, so I learned something here.

Try HUMMER

Discontinued last year, but plenty of new ones still for sale on the lots.

You're right. They definitely do not look like the camoflauged Hummers that are keeping order here. The latter are a work vehicle and look like it! They also look really, really stable for offroad work.

OK, so last year they discontinued the H1. This year they discontinued the H2. If I was a Hummer executive, I'd be scrambling to look for a new job right now!!

Nah, by early next year we'll have the hummer h4 hybrid and the hummer h5 solar cars. Only problem is that the h4 will grab and consume entire rainforests to cool its battery packs, and the h5 will have an unnerving tendency to blow up when driving it past elementary schools.

Back
Top Bottom