Noise cancelling headphones

Momcpa

Recycles dryer sheets
Years ago I tried headphones with built-in radio while on the riding lawnmower. While I could hear the music, they didn't block the noise of the lawnmower. And they were uncomfortable over my ears because I wear glasses.

Since then, there have probably been good improvements in noise cancelling blue-tooth headphones. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand that they wear comfortably while accommodating for the earpiece of glasses. They would make my time on the lawnmower more enjoyable and less hard on my hearing for the future. Thanks.

My Apple AirPods Pro 2 do a superb job of noise cancelling. Just about as good as my Sony over-the-ear headphones. I've compared the two on a plane and gave up the big ones for travel since the little Airpods are so capable.

My Apple AirPods Pro 2 do a superb job of noise cancelling. Just about as good as my Sony over-the-ear headphones. I've compared the two on a plane and gave up the big ones for travel since the little Airpods are so capable.

+1. They also have a transparency mode which you can quickly switch to as needed. The noise cancellation was noticeably stronger with a recent update.

I used to have Bose issued to us at work for use while flying, and while the noise cancelling was good, it didn't make a huge difference.

I have the air pods pro and they don’t even block out the noise from a leaf blower 2 blocks away.
If I’m walking on the sidewalk of a busy street I can’t hear anything but the cars going by.

I have the air pods pro and they don’t even block out the noise from a leaf blower 2 blocks away.
If I’m walking on the sidewalk of a busy street I can’t hear anything but the cars going by.

I suspect you may not have the noise cancelling function turned on. Perhaps you could check that?

Also, have you used the option in the app to check the fit for your ears? That can make a big difference.

I suspect you may not have the noise cancelling function turned on. Perhaps you could check that?

Also, have you used the option in the app to check the fit for your ears? That can make a big difference.

Checked both of those more than once.
Every time someone says how great they are I check again.
They also fall out quite easily. I have to constantly push them back into my ears. I’m just walking no running. And I don’t walk that fast! But if I don’t push them back in they fall out.
I’ve tried all 3 sizes and they all do this.

Air pods do almost nothing for me. I use Bose over the ear headphones when we fly. They have soft cups that fit around my glasses so there is no discomfort. I think they make a huge difference in reducing cabin noise. I also occasionally wear them when doing house cleaning - they drown out vacuum noise.

Checked both of those more than once.
Every time someone says how great they are I check again.
They also fall out quite easily. I have to constantly push them back into my ears. I’m just walking no running. And I don’t walk that fast! But if I don’t push them back in they fall out.
I’ve tried all 3 sizes and they all do this.

Sounds similar to DW. I think the shape of her ear canal is different enough that things just don’t fit right. She even struggles with the simple foam earplugs. The best I’ve found is from a recommendation I got from this site - Comply Earbuds. I’d provide a link but their site doesn’t appear to be working right now.

ETA: Their website is working now.
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-apple-airpods-pro

Last edited:
They also fall out quite easily. I have to constantly push them back into my ears.

OK, that explains why they don't work for you. I assume the ear tip fit test failed when you did it, since they need to fit snugly for proper operation.
There are third party covers that can help.

OK, that explains why they don't work for you. I assume the ear tip fit test failed when you did it, since they need to fit snugly for proper operation.
There are third party covers that can help.

Actually the ear tip test did not fail.
Yeah- I didn’t realize that there were third party covers until the poster up thread mentioned comply ear buds.
That may be a good and inexpensive solution. I hesitate spending another couple of hundred dollars on a product that isn’t going to work.

I have the AirPods Pro 2 and they work well at the gym to block out background noise while listening to spotify. I don't use them on my riding mower however as I was worried one might fall out and get damaged by the mower. Even the best earplugs I have don't do a great job while using the mower.

I have Clarity Aloft (https://clarityaloft.com/pages/products) headsets and in the process of getting them did learn some things.

The first line of defense is the seal between the outside world and the ear. This is where many headsets fall down, leaving various small gaps and not necessarily compressing hair enough. There is a reason ear-cup style sets are often referred to as "head clamps -- more pressure equals a better seal.

The best seals come from compliant materials that plug the ear canal. "Compliant" comes because the ear canal changes with weather, temperature, etc. I have tried to use hard plastic custom-molded shooting ear plugs and they don't work as well as the good (someone mentioned "Comply" already) plugs.

ANR sounds like a really good idea but the fact is that it works best at low frequencies. Clarity Aloft used to have a graph on their web site comparing their sound attenuation with an ANR set (probably Bose). It clearly showed that ANR won the race at low frequencies but then fell behind. In light airplanes there is a sort of high-frequency stall warning buzzer. I can hear the stall warning with head-clamp ANR sets but can't hear it with the Clarity Aloft plugs.

I have a couple of Comply-based stereo headsets that were offered to the consumer market for a while. Not aircraft stuff, no microphone, etc. but I treasure them for commercial air travel. DW has to tell me if there are cabin announcements because I hear nearly nothing. Unfortunately these are NLA.

For the OP, assuming you can tolerate ear plug style sets (some can't I guess) I would head that direction. Start with a good quality set and then experiment with Comply tips to optimize for your ears. Good ear-clamp ANRs will definitely help but my experience is that good ear plug tips trump expensive ANR.

As in many situations, YMMV on this one.

I would recommend the Bose QC45. I had the QC35, previous generation but the switch got flaky after 6 years. Anyway I was comparing the Sony WH-1000XM5 vs the Bose. Being one who also wears glasses the Sony doesn’t seal as well reading the reviews. I use these while cutting grass with a 22HP Toro Z-turn.
Very happy with the noise cancellation and sound reproduction with both the Toro and 2 cycle weed eater. The ANC is way above the QC35 which was also very good.
Read reviews on noise cancellation ear buds vs over the ear headphones. They all say the same over the ear are far better for ANC.

I solved this by buying an Ego 56v battery lawnmower. Now I can have a conversation with the mower running. I can use any headphones to listen to music or baseball while I mow.

Noise cancelling (at its best) will have a very hard time overcoming a loud gas lawnmower or gas weed whacker.

I solved this by buying an Ego 56v battery lawnmower. Now I can have a conversation with the mower running. I can use any headphones to listen to music or baseball while I mow.

Noise cancelling (at its best) will have a very hard time overcoming a loud gas lawnmower or gas weed whacker.

We've also switched to battery powered yard equipment. So much quieter and much less mess. Had an oil leak in the snow thrower. Very messy. Switched to electric in the fall. But...no snow.

Momcpa create an audio or video of your mower and go to Best Buy with the clip and have them play the clip in their high end audio room while trying ANC headphones. Modern receivers have a Bluetooth connection for playback.

These headphones work great contrary to what others are saying on this thread.

I decided to try my airpod pro 2 while mowing a small section of my yard today with my garden tractor. They worked well and was able to listen to music too. I could still hear a low rumble nose from the engine but it was very tolerable, better than using ear plugs. If I decide to use them while mowing I'll probably try using a stretchable headband to insure they don't pop out while mowing.

For those of you with AirPods Pro, I would like to point out that you do need to know how to wear them. Some people (don't ask me how I know) try to put them in the ear canal. They do not go in the canal, but rather sit up against the opening to the canal. If you try to insert them in the canal, then it will be hard to fit them, and they will fall out all the time.

I find my Airpods Pro 2 do the job well most of the time. I really like them because they have a balance feature so I can increase the volume selectively in my bad ear. I fall back to the Bose QC35 when using the chainsaw if weather is cool but find they are too hot if the weather is hot. For the absolute quiet on planes I found that wearing my wired Bose noise cancelling earbuds under my QC35s works amazingly.

When mowing (or pressure washing or using other loud equipment) I combine my Beats Fit Pros with old fashion ear protection ear muffs.

I’ve used the passive protection forever and added the Beats so I can listen to podcasts while mowing. The beats active noise cancelling adds a noticeable reduction in sound level.

Since the beats are basically ear bugs, the ear muffs fit over them nicely.

I have the Airpods Max which are the big ones over the ears. I use them for all my outdoor work. They're great.
I also have airpods pro and bring them around when i want to have some portablility.
Both of those are better than my old Bose which i now use just for Teams calls.

Back
Top Bottom