Normandy Tours and Accommodations?

Hi All - tied up a few more things for my group, like getting to San Sebastian from Bordeaux ... and found a great guide, I think, for Normandy area.

Here's a screen snap of the route I chose - this is just done on trainline.com ..

Was going to cab from Bayeux to Caen (gotta cab to the train station from our hotel, anyway, so just easier to get ride into Caen), then Caen to St Pierre des Corps (2 hours), then transfer in same station to Bordeaux (2 hours).

With two legs, one of which doesn't have a real first class (the IC from Caen to St Pierre des Corps) and only two hours on the St Pierre des Corps to Bordeaux, does it make sense to even spend nearly double? I would if it were a long trip, but ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.18.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.18.55 PM.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 22
Ha - just found another way from our friend's place near Crowborough to Bayeux.

We were getting ready to reserve ferry from Portsmouth to Caen (Oistreham) which had necessitated us leaving friends a day early to stay overnight in Portsmouth to make sailings work right.

Our friends found a ferry Newhaven-Dieppe (FR) ... easier to get to from Crowborough, with train right near port of Dieppe that we can connect to get to Bayeux - a bit later than we wanted but looks to be easier overall.

Anyone used this ferry route?

So, we're reserved!

New Haven (England) to Dieppe, FR via DFDS Ferry. 0900 ETD and 1400 ETA into Dieppe.

Dieppe Gare is pretty close and a small bus supposedly available from ferry terminal to Gare - about half mile.

Leave Dieppe Gare at 1609 - connect in Rouen Rive Droite Gare to Caen Gare and to then to Bayeux gare. All same station. Not fast trains, but it'll get us there easy and we can see some of the countryside and other cities. Arrive Bayeux around 1915 ... B&B says no problem on arrival time. Looking better! Thanks for everyone's help!

Quick question - anyone used a car service around London Heathrow?

We have two options to get to friends' house in Crowborough:
1. Bus from Heathrow to Gatwick where they pick us up (E50-60)
2. Driver for hire to meet us and take us to Gatwick (E75)
3. Driver for hire to meet us and take us to their house (E100 or so?)

Anyone used private driver?

With two legs, one of which doesn't have a real first class (the IC from Caen to St Pierre des Corps) and only two hours on the St Pierre des Corps to Bordeaux, does it make sense to even spend nearly double? I would if it were a long trip, but ...
IMHO no. There wasn't a big enough difference between 1st and 2nd class.

And, we’re off!

Waiting ATL for Heathrow flight.

Getting driver from Heathrow to friends house 70 miles away for a few £ more than the price of bus from Heathrow to Gatwick plus Uber from there.

Flights easy. Time in England, south of London, incredible. Ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe fun. Trains from Dieppe to Bayeux on time. Walk from Bayeux Gare to BB easy. Maison Mertens BB wonderful. Private guide for two days worth the money. Rail strike killed the train trip from Bayeux to Bordeaux, but rental car to Bordeaux was very easy.

Bordeaux now - eating as much duck and escargot as possible.

Oh no! Rail strike! Yuck!!!

Good to know there is escargot on Bordeaux. Am definitely looking forward to duck and pate. Hope our train to CDG from Bayeux doesn't get messed up by any strike!

Back
Top Bottom