NOW I see why retirees move to Florida!

Yep and 11 months out of the year aircon season in Florida.
The parents had their better condition years in Florida so now
time to get to a better area for more inside living that they do now. The cooler nights and four season will be more enjoyable
from indoors.

Yep and 11 months out of the year aircon season in Florida...The parents had their better condition years in Florida so now
time to get to a better area for more inside living that they do now.

Julian calendar ;) ?

We use our AC liberally. Generally runs about 5-6 months of the year.

But the oak pollen in the spring is a big-time allergen for some. The stuff just falls from the beautiful Live Oaks by the bucket.

Julian calendar ;) ?

We use our AC liberally. Generally runs about 5-6 months of the year.

But the oak pollen in the spring is a big-time allergen for some. The stuff just falls from the beautiful Live Oaks by the bucket.

I don't know if it was the huge live oak in my front yard, or mold, or what, but when I lived in College Station (Central Texas) I had awful allergies! They began my second year there and I was miserable. (Probably I am using the term "allergy" for what a doctor might call a "sensitivity", since I never had anything diagnosed). I have no idea whether or not the mountain cedar is common there.

When I moved to Louisiana, I expected to have a similar reaction but after many years here, I have had none and remain allergy free. Much of New Orleans is very moldy since the Katrina disaster, but surpringly, it only bothers me when we drive through the devastated areas. When I get home, I am fine.

Want2retire
Must of been bad in Texas to make you move to the swamp.
Hope your not sitting below the lake in N.O.
I always imagined the place like living on a river with a raft.

Want2retire
Must of been bad in Texas to make you move to the swamp.
Hope your not sitting below the lake in N.O.
I always imagined the place like living on a river with a raft.

:confused: I don't know where you got that idea. I liked Texas and Texans are the salt of the earth; great people, and a huge state with low housing prices and lots of room.

I moved to New Orleans because this is where the job was, though I don't think people should have to justify living in the city that my father told me was the "Crown Jewel of the South" when I was a little girl. When I arrived here to report to work, I found that pre-Katrina New Orleans was an amazing place, with history extending back hundreds of years, outstanding original historic architecture, food, music, art, and its own unique Cajun/Creole blend of culture. It had some serious problems too, such as crime and corruption, but it was hardly like "living on a river with a raft". Nor is it like living in the bayou country south of Lafayette or Morgan City.

Unfortunately, much of New Orleans has been destroyed. It is heartbreaking to us. Time for me to move on.

Last edited:
I lived in Tx a couple times before El-Taco ( Paso).
I was more thinking on the N.O. situation of everyone knowing since the 1950's that the lake would some day make N.O. a swamp. Yes I could agree Bourbon street and few others may of
been nice to party but for the most part it was high crime and unemployment area. I could never imagine more than a vaction there. I've been and lived in worse because of work myself.

I was more thinking on the N.O. situation of everyone knowing since the 1950's that the lake would some day make N.O. a swamp. Yes I could agree Bourbon street and few others may of
been nice to party but for the most part it was high crime and unemployment area. I could never imagine more than a vaction there. I've been and lived in worse because of work myself.
A lot of popular tourist destinations are like that, not only in the U.S. but also some of the major cities in Europe.

When a city has a huge dependence on tourism, a disproportionate chunk of their law enforcement budget goes to patrolling the (usually small) touristed areas of the city, be it New Orleans, Las Vegas or even a place like Rome. They know that if there's a lot of crime in the touristy areas, the tourism gravy train might derail.

That often means inadequate law enforcement outside the touristy areas, and a breeding ground for crime.

I'm sorry that you were not able to become even slightly familiar with New Orleans as it was. At least that is all I can conclude from your posts. As a long time resident, I must admit that I don't know much about the tourist traps like the bars on Bourbon Street, except that they are still there and open for business if that is how you get your kicks.

Yeah I guess better than the sand box over here.
Little if any crime other than very extreme stuff but not many
go away from where they work and live unless we leave country.
Europe 6 hours and asia 6 hours, in between h*ll.
UAE is a somewhat decent place for winters.

Never been in Louisana, not sure how to spell it either! Had friends from
there that I worked with in Europe and here. None seem to be planning
on returning to live there mainly because of low pay.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you were not able to become even slightly familiar with New Orleans as it was. At least that is all I can conclude from your posts. As a long time resident, I must admit that I don't know much about the tourist traps like the bars on Bourbon Street, except that they are still there and open for business if that is how you get your kicks.

Indeed.

And for Jazz Fest 2008 we have Van Morrison, Doctor John, Steelie Dan, Bryan Lee, Richie Havens, Bonnie Rait and a zillion other big names. But even better, the "small names" are world class. Who knows - we may even see our very own Janet H some time ;).

We own a time-share on Tchoupitoulas for Jazz fest week. Golden moment was taking a beer break at the fairgrounds in a near-empty venue. Guy with an acoustic guitar eases on to the stage, adjusts his mike. After a quick glance at what I thought was a sound check by a stage hand, this guy starts making music. Turns out it was Keb Mo before he became well known (one of my favorite contemporary blues vocalists).

Anyhow, a bit off topic, but the NOLA memories are flowing. Great city, hope it roars back some day.

I liked the movie with travolta, scarlet and other guy.
Guess that doesn't count for anything.

Back
Top Bottom