Opinion on ROKU?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

A large position (for me) has developed on this single stock - have always been a long time index fund investor.

Bought during down period in December 2018 - had been following and watching friends buying their boxes and TVs - not a lot of thought, though.

So, have large profit if I sell - but, I really think the company is just getting going.

Whether they continue to grow or get bought by another, what are your thoughts re holding?

I don't need the money, and it is fun to watch :)

... what are your thoughts re holding?
Well, it depends on your objective and how it fits with your portfolio. Professional trustee organizations will typically consider an asset above 10% or at most 15% of a portfolio to be an "imprudent concentration." So there is one criterion that may apply.

If you're asking whether it will go up or down, the answer is yes. Beyond that, no one knows.

...I don't need the money, and it is fun to watch :)
If you're saying that the stock could go to zero or to half its current value and that would have no significant effect on your finances, then maybe the stock is just a toy to play with and enjoy. We all have toys of one sort or another. So continue to have fun.

I try to stick to the limit of 5% of a portfolio in any one company, unfortunately I've never had the problem of earning too much in 1 stock.

OP - you could trim your allocation a bit, it's not an all or nothing choice.

I'm guessing you've made about 6X your original investment. Congrat's. It's up a lot recently. I would sell at least 1/2 of it and be satisfied with a 3X return if it goes down. If you do options, I would sell it all and buy long call options a year into the future with the original amount you invested. This would lock in most of your nice gain and give you the potential for continued large gains while only risking "play" money.

I'm with Dan32. Take a nice profit and leave the rest invested.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought ROKU in the low 100's and price has doubled since. I think there is some more headroom to be had as more and more people cut the cord and start to stream. My most recent TV, which I got last Christmas, has built-in Roku and it is a breeze to stream content. As more people learn about Roku, more will purchase their devices.

Stephenon, do you stream? Do you have a Roku device? I highly recommend it for streamers.

I'm not sure about the stock but the service isn't as good today as is was just six months ago. More commercials, resume feature doesn't always work, movies "occasionally" abort.... Six months ago I never saw any of this happen or at least it was pretty rare.....

I'm not sure about the stock but the service isn't as good today as is was just six months ago. More commercials, resume feature doesn't always work, movies "occasionally" abort.... Six months ago I never saw any of this happen or at least it was pretty rare.....

Luckily, I haven't noticed any of that in the past 10 months. The only glitch I've noticed is when moving from Home to a streaming service icon using the four directional pad it sometimes stutters and overshoots my desired icon selection. This happens maybe once every twenty times.

Sorry - wasn't talking to technical components of the actual product, but rather, whether the stock had some run left - based on opinions, not facts :)

I have some Roku too - only 20 shares - but enjoying this :dance:

20 shares will hardly make or break me. I never buy individual stocks. Ever. But I own several Rokus and thought the stock would go up and wanted to try my luck. And it has. I have no idea how high or low it will end up. I am totally ignorant about things like that.

Sorry - wasn't talking to technical components of the actual product, but rather, whether the stock had some run left - based on opinions, not facts :)

Expect it to run too $300.11 before any major pullback. I plan to sell part of my holdings there and buy back in the $211 range.

Expat,

I’m not following - you’re using numbers that appear more exact than the intent of my question - are you modeling to that level?

Expat,

I’m not following - you’re using numbers that appear more exact than the intent of my question - are you modeling to that level?

Yes! I have an entry,exit,target and stop on every position I hold that is modified as price reveals itself. Feel free to ignore them. I have nothing to contribute on the Fundie side and am not at all familar with their products other than it is a form of streaming I do not use.

modeling always great and certainly helps provide direction when one might decide to hang out further than originally intended.

I’m not familiar with ...”...Fundie side...” though.

Back
Top Bottom