Owner changing county zoning on property next door

Kayzmum

Recycles dryer sheets
The property next door to us has been zoned for office use for about 20 years now. They were never able to develop it because they can't get access to the road because of the traffic. They are now trying to change it to a single family residential property. The county has requested the hold a virtual meeting with neighbors to address any questions or concerns. I don't have a problem with it; and in fact, prefer they change it to a residential property and don't see any reason to attend this meeting. Am I missing anything? Is there any reason for me to attend? Any questions or concerns I should ask about that I haven't thought of. I'm hoping someone has already been through a similar situation.

I would attend. What if, during that meeting, the property owner wants to change from single-family to multi-family? Or worse yet, the owner, after listening to the attendees floats some other alternative zoning plans. BTW, my experience is that zoning means zilch. One can always get a variance granted for a single piece of property. And there is something called overlay zoning which creates a zoning within a zone that is not necessarily in keeping with the underlying zoning requirements. Keeping informed is your best action, even though most of this type of meetings are not really asking for residents' opinions. They just want to follow the laws and regulations. They will rule the way they want to 99.9% of the time. I have personally seen it many times. Only once have I seen such a plan thwarted by an overwhelming, opposing, organized group of attendees.

Attend the meeting and get your affected neighbors to attend also.

Does the town have an ordinance regarding home businesses? Just in case the lot owner’s plan is to run (or allow) a retail type business that would affect traffic patterns and such.

Our family business was started in a residential area before zoning laws were issued. When we wanted to get it zoned (so that we could sell or rebuild after a fire or other disaster) it took us almost a year of zoning meetings to get it done. Lots of push back (not from neighbors - just from folks on the zoning board who didn't like the idea.)

SO, I would say to go to the meeting and be prepared to state your opinion(s).

I think it would be better to have a real meeting in person, but yes, sign on to the virtual. There might be something in the plan you don't like, like a dumpster being put right next to your property line. It could be legal to put the dumpster there, but just by requesting an alternative, you might get it.

And you can ask for a 'buffer yard' of shrubs or trees to be placed between your prop and theirs, if desired.

I and my neighbors have successfully fended off several awful development ideas for the big lot next door to us, by showing up en mass at the zoning meetings. It always involved a variance being requested by the new owner.

Not saying the plan in your case will be awful, but...

Back
Top Bottom