Paris accommodations and short-term rental websites?

Out-to-Lunch

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am looking for accommodations in Paris for one week in March for three travelers (me, my DW and her sister). We would like to stay in the area of La Butte aux Cailles, but that is negotiable.

Our ideal situation would be a small apartment for a short-term rental, like an Air BnB. However, I am not finding much on that site or VRBO. It occurs to me that a French person probably uses some other site. I have googled around and found some competing sites, but of course I know nothing about them. May I ask this august group if anyone has had a successful experience on a different STR site?

TIA.

Paris cracked down heavily on short term rentals a few years ago and there aren't nearly as many as there used to be. I don't think your problem is that the French aren't using AirBnB (which has a French language site at airbnb.fr) but rather that the inventory is low.

Here's a relatively recent article: https://www.barrons.com/news/paris-says-tough-airbnb-rules-working-as-violations-fall-1a7685ef

The city of Paris said on Monday that its tough restrictions on the online accommodation service Airbnb were working, pointing to fewer violations of the code this year in the French capital but stiffer fines.

I am looking for accommodations in Paris for one week in March for three travelers (me, my DW and her sister). We would like to stay in the area of La Butte aux Cailles, but that is negotiable.

Our ideal situation would be a small apartment for a short-term rental, like an Air BnB. However, I am not finding much on that site or VRBO. It occurs to me that a French person probably uses some other site. I have googled around and found some competing sites, but of course I know nothing about them. May I ask this august group if anyone has had a successful experience on a different STR site?

TIA.

Can't help on the rental. We used to live in the 6th arr.

Just wondering why/how you chose that area. Nothing wrong with it, but just far from what most tourists consider "Paris" and far from the Parisites....uhhh...Paris-sites.

Edit: Just wondering if you looked in a more touristy area if there might be more inventory.
5th, 6th 7th etc.

Last edited:
We rented over a decade ago with an agency called Paris Attitude. I did a google search and it looks like they are still in business. The website looks like you can limit the search by district/arrondissement as well, which is helpful.

Our rental was for a couple of months and the only drawback was that the apartment was for sale during that time so the agency scheduled a couple of showings while we were staying there. We were very happy with the apartment and location.

Try apartment hotels. We stayed in a couple on our trip to Portugal.

One had a reception desk & daily cleanings, the other just texted us the code to the lobby door & the room & did cleanings every 3rd day. Very convenient & we loved the extra space.

I found this link on apartment hotels in Paris
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/.../paris/galleries/best-apartment-hotels-paris/

I second the apartment hotels. There are 13 or so Citadines apartment hotels in Paris: https://www.discoverasr.com/en/europe/france/paris#

We stayed in one in 6th arrondissement (Saint-Germain), and it was excellent.

I second the apartment hotels. There are 13 or so Citadines apartment hotels in Paris: https://www.discoverasr.com/en/europe/france/paris#

I often see apartment hotels available in major tourist cities in Europe.

I think the inexpense Airbnb places are a thing of the past. The fees have gone up markedly plus prices are not low anymore.

we just back from 2 weeks in Paris, pretty sure DW got on Home away . 2 bed 2 bath, full kitchen, had washer/drier was wonderful !! On Rue de Grenelle and steps from Rue Cler street... Walked everywhere, Eiffle Tower, Musse Invalides, Norte Dame etc etc. Saw a Moulin Rouge show, Took train to Lyon, Took train to Chantilly, taxi to MonteMartre, surprised DW with 3 star Michelin Arpege restaurant.... Walked to American Embassy, ATE ATE ATE....

Can't help on the rental. We used to live in the 6th arr.

Just wondering why/how you chose that area. Nothing wrong with it, but just far from what most tourists consider "Paris" and far from the Parisites....uhhh...Paris-sites.

Edit: Just wondering if you looked in a more touristy area if there might be more inventory.
5th, 6th 7th etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I meant to mention this, but I forgot. We aren't going as tourists! It's a work trip for my wife and SIL. (But I get to have fun!) We decided to try La Butte aux Cailles on the recommendation of a friend who is a French professor and frequent visitor, and it is convenient enough to the work location. His description of the village-feel of the area enchanted DW; who am I to disagree? :D

We rented over a decade ago with an agency called Paris Attitude. I did a google search and it looks like they are still in business. The website looks like you can limit the search by district/arrondissement as well, which is helpful.

Our rental was for a couple of months and the only drawback was that the apartment was for sale during that time so the agency scheduled a couple of showings while we were staying there. We were very happy with the apartment and location.

we just back from 2 weeks in Paris, pretty sure DW got on Home away . 2 bed 2 bath, full kitchen, had washer/drier was wonderful !! On Rue de Grenelle and steps from Rue Cler street... Walked everywhere, Eiffle Tower, Musse Invalides, Norte Dame etc etc. Saw a Moulin Rouge show, Took train to Lyon, Took train to Chantilly, taxi to MonteMartre, surprised DW with 3 star Michelin Arpege restaurant.... Walked to American Embassy, ATE ATE ATE....

I knew I could count on E-R! Now I have some homwork to do...

Thank you for the leads.

I often see apartment hotels available in major tourist cities in Europe.

I think the inexpense Airbnb places are a thing of the past. The fees have gone up markedly plus prices are not low anymore.

It isn't just the fees. You have to read the text very carefully about what the hosts expect the renters to do before leaving. Like strip the beds and put the linens in the washer, empty the trash etc... It can be too much of a hassle.

We have done well with Booking.com for international travel.

If you decide to go for a hotel more in the center of Paris check out www.astotel.com
Great hotels, nice breakfast and you can drop in at any other hotel of the group for a coffee, tea or soft drink + cookie in the afternoon. We loved Bradford Elysees.

Abritel.fr is part of the HomeAway/Expedia group and shows a few listings in that neighborhood. Booking.com is also well used in France by owners.

This is not for a week stay, just one night, breaking up a return to Amsterdam, but we’re going to try the new 25hours Hotel Paris Terminus Nord. Pretty wild decor. The restaurant Terminus Nord maybe same building - we’ve eaten there before recommended by the Man in Seat 61. Classic French brasserie. https://www.25hours-hotels.com/en/hotels/paris/terminus-nord

Last edited:
Abritel.fr is part of the HomeAway/Expedia group and shows a few listings in that neighborhood. Booking.com is also well used in France by owners.

Thank you!

And thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I did book something just now through VRBO in the 13e, near La Butte aux Cailles. We'll see how it works out!

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom