pedaling around the world

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
happened to catch a weekly newspaper article on this young guy jean-gabriel chelala.

having just arrived in fort lauderdale, he's pedaling around the world by bike including across the atlantic in his "cyclomer" boat, a 24-ft pedal powered, single-handed vessel. next he'll bike across the u.s.a., up to alaska where his pedal boat will be shipped for his next open water voyage across the bering st8, then biking across siberia eventually back to france. pretty cool and ya gotta wonder what he's gonna do once he retires.

www.jeangabrielchelala.com

img_701980_0_ddb65be290c365c238ae87c158270543.jpg

I've pedaled these things around the lake with my DW...I can't imagine pedaling across the atlantic or the pacific...we were exhausted after a few hours and a few miles. I prefer my bike on the ground, thanks.

R

Even if he could average 3mph with that boat, pedaling for 16 hours per day, it would still take him over 3 months to cross the Atlantic...that's insane!

I've pedaled these things around the lake with my DW...I can't imagine pedaling across the atlantic or the pacific

won't be crossing the pacific, at least not the wide part. in fact, circumnavigations generally are only considered as such if they include crossing the equator. this is not that, impressive just the same.

his boat is a bit more sophisticated than a lake pedaler. i don't read french but from fragments on the website which mentions development of 500 watts of power and the boat schematics, i'm confused as to whether he is pedaling to power a generator, or as direct drive to twirl the prop.

presentation_bateau1.jpg

Even if he could average 3mph with that boat, pedaling for 16 hours per day, it would still take him over 3 months to cross the Atlantic...that's insane!

"The last stretches of pedaling were long, especially with an opposite current. 107 days of seafaring since Portugal and 4,950 nautical miles"~~expedition log entry

especially wild to me about such a venture is with 3 months at sea and not much maneuverability, yer sort of entirely at the whim of whatever weather might come your way.

Wow, he must have buns of steel! :eek:

certainly he solved the problem many long-term cruisers face: how to exercise while at sea.

Back
Top Bottom