Periodic work to pay for health insurance

For most people who post here...this will not work. When I left my former employer, I was hired by the other outfit...FEDEX. I thought how hard could it be? Drive a truck around 7 hours a day.....deliver a few packages......hourly wage plus benefits. I quickly found out how wrong I was. I was in my mid 40's and though I was fit.......apparently not. You are expected to be able to lift packages off the ground up to 75 lbs. I asked about a handtruck. Nope. Wastes time. And customers will always exceed the 75 lb weight limit. And don't complain! Those customers are paying your wage!

Also with GPS they know where you are at all times. Taking too long for lunch? They call you. Many days you had no time for lunch. The number of packages you are expected to deliver during the day is impossible to accomplish. And if a package is due at 10:30 am and you are 5 minutes late.....the customer doesn't pay and the driver gets written up! Never mind there was traffic, no place to park ,etc. And daily parking tickets were the norm in the city. Almost back at the facility? They call you. They have a last minute pick up for you 30 minutes away. And you better not be late? Traffic? Too bad! Skip that bathroom break!

Also at the facility you load your own truck. Needless to say I was told at least once a week, someone sustains a serious back injury for working too fast....lifting too much at once.

Needless to say I lasted 3 days. Definitely a young man's job

Well Mr. Loco, you have convinced me to scratch that one off my options. That sounds like work! My best option remains just marrying my longtime GF. $175 a month, 200 annual deductible. That would last me 12 years until 65. As for now I can comfortably donate $390 a month for my crap ACA plan with $6500 deductible that I never use.

Ive also heard its tough work...and they work you hard! But if someone is retiring around 50 or so...there should be plenty of fuel in the tank for a couple years anyway.

If someone really needs healthcare and they're strapped for cash it would prob be better to just work a few more years...but if you're really stressed sorting packages at UPS doesnt require too much thought...and once you leave for the day thats it. Just something for people to consider.
I didn't think it was back breaking. I did it a couple of Holiday seasons. It is fast paced and constant but the UPS in Philly, they really harped on safety. So the boxes i could not safely lift I got help. Biggest con for me was standing for 5 hours with bad knees. Now that I had my knee replaced I would totally do it again. Easy mindless no responsibility work. I'm 57. Now I'm also a p/t baker so lifting 50 lb bags of flour is routine. [emoji6]

Last edited:
My online teaching pays for our HI and travel. I love doing it though. I can do it anywhere with internet so does not interfere with our traveling at all.

My DGF quit work at age 44 to get free healthcare. It is cheaper than when she was working. $0 premium, $0 deductible. Healthcare, dental, pharmacy, eye care.

Back
Top Bottom