phone number call forwarding

He doesn't actually need the GV mobile app.

Just go into Google Voice (GV) settings on a browser and confirm that your cell number: (a) is linked to your GV number, and (b) is set to receive forwarded calls from your GV number. I believe there is a check box next to each linked number to indicate whether or not you want GV to forward incoming calls to that number.

As ERD50 keeps pointing out, there is absolutely no hardware required. You just get on a browser, set up a GV number, and set it to forward to your cellphone. Give people the GV number and it will ring your cell. Simple as that. Porting a specific number to GV adds a minor complication.

I first used this feature years ago when I was working and traveling a lot. I had several office lines in different locations and 2 cellphones. I set up a GV number for family and friends that would ring all those devices.

I don't use GV call forwarding today, as I don't really see the point. I just use the assigned Google Voice numbers as a separate phone number on my devices. I have one that serves as our landline number, using an Obi-200 VoIP device. And one that serves as my primary number on mobile devices as well as laptops, tablets, and PCs. Same number I set up for friends and family while working.

I don't actually use or share the phone number assigned by my cellphone carrier. I change carriers a lot and this avoids porting and/or changing numbers. My GV number follows me around. Any device where I'm logged into Google... my phone number is right there.
I like having the GV app on my cellphone since I now have 2 dialers and can call using either my cell or GV number. My GV number is my secret number for family only, it rings at home and on my cell and I rarely get Spam since it's not public and Google does a great job of blocking Spam.
On the other hand all the spammers seem to have have my cellphone number so I rarely answer it.

I like having the GV app on my cellphone since I now have 2 dialers and can call using either my cell or GV number. My GV number is my secret number for family only, it rings at home and on my cell and I rarely get Spam since it's not public and Google does a great job of blocking Spam.
On the other hand all the spammers seem to have have my cellphone number so I rarely answer it.

I like the GV mobile app as well. I was just pointing out that Brat doesn't necessarily "need" it in order to configure GV to forward calls to his cellphone. A browser will work fine.

I used Hangouts and the Hangouts dialer for many years. But Google made some changes, and now I have to use the GV app for communicating (voice/text/video) with others who do NOT use the Hangouts app. My direct family still use Hangouts for messaging and chat, just out of tradition. At some point, I'll probably switch to GV exclusively.

Since I don't use the carrier-supplied number for anything, I have it blocked for all incoming voice and text, which avoids the inevitable onslaught of spam and robo calls. As you said, GV numbers get very little if any of these unsolicited calls.

Back
Top Bottom