Planning for Health Care in Retirement - Vanguard

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not comprehensive, but a good primer with lots of good links on pre-planning for retirement health care, Medicare and LTC for those beginning to grapple with retirement budget projection. If you’re with Vanguard you’ve already gotten this.

https://investornews.vanguard/your-investing-life-planning-for-health-care-in-retirement/

Vanguard said:
Once people reach retirement, Youssef says spending often follows the line of a smile. Health care has the biggest impact during late retirement—making up one end of the smile.
  • Early retirement. Spending often stays high during the early years of retirement. Many retirees travel and eat out more often. Health care coverage shifts from employer-sponsored insurance to Medicare.
  • Middle retirement. Overall spending often drops to its lowest point during the second phase of retirement. Retirees in this phase spend more time closer to home. They’re active in their communities and with their families but aren’t spending their funds on expensive vacations. Health care costs may rise as these retirees age.
  • Late retirement. During the late years of retirement, retirees are faced with more health issues. As a result, health care costs peak. If retirees need long-term care, these costs can be substantial.
There’s no getting around it: Health care is expensive—now and in retirement.

However, costs fluctuate, especially for retirees. Instead of making general calculations about how much you’ll need, consider a more personalized approach.

Last edited:
In March my COBRA goes away (I have two and a quarter years to Mcare.) Very pleasantly surprised to get a $544 subsidy to purchase plan via ACA. I am going to pay $8/mo. more; granted, for a plan with a $3500 out of pocket maximum. However this is better than what i could afford when on my own in consulting two years ago. ($6350 max then).

Back
Top Bottom