Planning my last 20 years, finding a place.

Well, you didn't ask for advice on this but I'll offer some anyway: Mixing business and family is fraught. There is a huge variety of situations where business issues can destroy family relationships. Examples: The apartment business has negative cash flow for some reason, possibly uninsured losses. One or more family members is unable or unwilling to come up with their share of the cash assessment. One or more family members strongly disagree with decisions made by the managing partner. One or more family members want "out" and insist that the building(s) must be sold. One family member has a financial emergency, possibly the member's death, divorce or bankruptcy, and insists on getting bought out of their share. Family members strongly disagree on the building(s) valuation in connection with a sale or a single member buyout. ... The list goes on and on. All of these scenarios can be handled with a well-written partnership agreement, but no agreement can prevent consequent hard feelings from damaging family relationships. Goodwill and consensus is guaranteed at the beginning of the effort, but not for longer than that.

What he said ^^^

Moved 3 times in the past 10 years. Personally moving is a great way to make sure you aren’t holding onto crap you don’t need. Provided the moves all increase your joy and happiness why not? Short term pain for long term happiness. Life just keeps getting better and better.

Moved 3 times in the past 10 years. Personally moving is a great way to make sure you aren’t holding onto crap you don’t need.

Hey, someday I might need something in that crap!

We have been in our home 28 years, one kid is 400 miles away with pretty solid career where she is. Other kid is close and has a career start which looks pretty solid, already two good raises in 1-1/2 years, plus company stock and bonus. I expect that at 67 we will stay put. Only reason we would move is if my son decided he had a better job offer in the bigger city my daughter is in. But he's pretty solid where he is at right now.
Maybe after I'm gone my wife will move closer to my daughter as she gets older and may need more help.

Your list comes close to where I moved 3 years ago.
Middle Tennessee, I’m on 47 acres with one part being a hayfield (a local comes twice a year to rake and roll and we spilt the profit which gives me agricultural property status which means lower property taxes)

Lots of hiking and fishing and biking within short distance, I also made trails for walking into the woods so I can hike with the dogs without leaving the property

Guest house serves as an Airbnb. It’s not too close to the main house so everyone can enjoy privacy.

Publix and Sprouts 27 minutes drive. Nashville airport is 55 minutes away.

Good healthcare in Murfreesboro 25-30 min away.

I’m single and do some of the farm chores myself.

Nothing is perfect but the seasons are fine, i don’t find the summers to be awful at all.

Actually middle Tennessee is tops on our list now. I'm constantly on Zillow checking out places and we've driven through some areas. I'm finding too many places to choose from. Many have most of my criteria covered.

Actually middle Tennessee is tops on our list now. I'm constantly on Zillow checking out places and we've driven through some areas. I'm finding too many places to choose from. Many have most of my criteria covered.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to assist with.

Back
Top Bottom