Poll: Monthly income streams (please read before voting)

Total Income streams excluding WR (please read instructions

• $0 per month

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • $1-$1000 per month

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • $1001-$3000 per month

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • $3001-$5000 per month

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • $5001-$7000 per month

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • $7001-$10,000 per month

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • over $10,001 per month

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • NOYDB - decline to state

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Don't qualify since still working

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • Pie

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
No income stream here. But I wouldn't mind having one if I didn't have to work for it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Our pensions cover about half of our spending plan. This is quite beneficial since it allows me to allocate all our investment portfolio to equities. Divs on the equities have grown quite a lot since I retired almost 10 years ago and are now more than the pensions, especially on an after tax basis. Getting a regular pension deposit every month is quite reassuring. Especially when the markets are poor. We are quite lucky.

What about RMD's on an inherited Roth-IRA?

I've had this for 14 years now and it keep's appreciating, slowly, even with the RMD's paid out.

Also have:

- DW's small pension
- DW's small lifetime annuity
- royalty income from a quarry

Gives us a little over $3,000/mo.

No pension for me and no SS for at least 5 more years.

I assume you include the money in the inherited IRA/inherited ROTH Ira in your nest egg calculation. Like a regular IRA (vs inherited) - nothing says you have to spend the money you are forced to withdraw and pay taxes on - you can reinvest it in a taxable account. Same with dividends and cap gains....

All of those things are just SOURCES for where to withdraw funds from....

I have an inherited IRA - it is the source for my withdrawals from my portfolio - but it is definitely part of my portfolio and not a separate income stream like a pension/annuity/SS/rent - things outside the portfolio.

I linked the trigger for this poll, above... It was based on a comment in a thread about net worth - and how net worth did not reflect cash flow/income streams outside the investable assets.

I guess the income stream that I would get from cracking hickory nuts would not count either. See my earlier post. Lordy, it's w*rk, and a hard one at that.

No Pension. No SS yet. Net $2270 per month from 3 rental condos in Roseville CA.

Two Pensions. Two Social Securities. Checks are good I thought I was up there, but from the looks of it, I'm way behind. Oh well, We live on the checks (so far).

DH's pension is under $3000/mo but covers our monthly expenses and leaves enough to still save 15%. It's plenty for us, we keep our cost of living nice and low.

Still Living Below Our Means.

$7300 per month from four sources SS, Military Pension, SSDI for wife (all COLA), Megacorp pension non-COLA.

I think rental income is the same as dividend income--the asset is creating the income stream.

I guess the income stream that I would get from cracking hickory nuts would not count either. See my earlier post. Lordy, it's w*rk, and a hard one at that.
Where do you get hickory nuts in Phoenix? I grew up on these, cracked them with a hammer. Little buggers too- but so tasty that they are worth the effort. If you have hickory, do you also have black walnuts? Another high effort, high reward nut!

Ha

SS and RMD of DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My partner and I will be FIRE in a few weeks. Our income outside of investments will be just under 10k per month. It includes my pension and his business income. It will be more than enough to cover our full time RVing expenses.

We plan to splurge a bit and spend more than this to mantain a constant consumption during reitrement.

Two pensions with inflation-pegged COLAs...none this year, since there purportedly wasn't any inflation. Pensions are treated as regular income for tax purposes.

No SS, as we don't qualify for it.

We got very lucky with our COLA. Policy is inflation has to be higher than zero to get the 2% COLA. It came in at 0.12% for the year...Just barely above zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where do you get hickory nuts in Phoenix? I grew up on these, cracked them with a hammer. Little buggers too- but so tasty that they are worth the effort. If you have hickory, do you also have black walnuts? Another high effort, high reward nut!
No, I don't. I would have to partner with someone like Bestwifeever who knows where to get them free. They would ship the nuts to me who cracks the nuts for income.

I think rental income is the same as dividend income--the asset is creating the income stream.

I think in most situations, this is correct. Some differences - it's more common to borrow against the asset than it is with bonds or stocks.

In my case - the rental is on the same property as our primary - and can't be sold separately - so it's much more illiquid (and not separately valued)... It's hard to think of it as part of the portfolio because I can't sell it unless I sell my home and move. So it's quite different than other assets in my portfolio.

I think in most situations, this is correct. Some differences - it's more common to borrow against the asset than it is with bonds or stocks.

In my case - the rental is on the same property as our primary - and can't be sold separately - so it's much more illiquid (and not separately valued)... It's hard to think of it as part of the portfolio because I can't sell it unless I sell my home and move. So it's quite different than other assets in my portfolio.

I don't think there's any difference if it's a mutual fund that generates dividends or real estate that generates rental income. They are just two different types of assets (considering your granny flat as being illiquid and different from the other assets in your portfolio doesn't mean it's not an income-producing asset, but I wasn't really talking about that, more about the rentals several people here have as their retirement investment). If rental income is counted as an income stream, shouldn't dividend income, which is excluded from being counted?

Obviously I am just trying to up our total income streams to the next bracket for some perverse reason and want to include every dime I can wrangle--next I will be adding in the change I found in our couch and in our cars' "ash trays," and the coupons I redeemed at Target and the grandkids' birthday money, until I have beaten this horse further to death. 😄

+1
Exactly what I was thinking.
I counted rental income, but did not count regular account dividends.
But I could sell all my stocks and buy another rental property and then count it, so really non-retirement investments are exchangeable.

Got SS,pension & rentals, makes up monthly income well north of 10K/mo.
Does not include interest or dividends in taxable accounts, nor RMDs which we have to now take.
Spend all RMDs and more paying taxes.

Back
Top Bottom