Poll: Travel is what % of your ER budget?

Travel is what % of your ER budget?

• 10% or less

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • 20% approx.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • 30% approx.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 40% approx.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
23.076923%

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This is the second poll I can't see. Is it because I use an iPad?

NM. I can do it changing to Web View, though I have to re-log in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We made a list of all the museums, parks, gardens and tourist attractions to visit and day trips we wanted to go on before we might move out of our area. We came up with such a long list and had fun working through our list, I think we're just going to stay where we are at. Weird because originally I thought we'd downsize and travel more. But we have never found any place we both wanted to live more than where we live now, and we decided as long as we were happy with our little day trips and outings we'll just keep doing that until we get bored. We have a fair bit of travel we have to do for family visits so maybe that, weekend getaways and one big destination trip now and then will be our travel for the year. We also enjoy having our days free and living some place where other people like to visit on vacation.

Tomorrow we're going to an aviation museum.

This pretty much describes what we do now (not Fired...yet) and what we plan on doing when we do Fire.

There will be 'big' destinations, but only now and then - too much to see close to home - for now.

< 10% for me. Once per year I meet up with college buddies somewhere in the US. I usually take at least 1 sightseeing trip to a city. This year I went on a group trip to Berlin. I've taken a few road trips in the US. Not a lot of travel compared to many retirees I meet.

The one thing I've never been interested in was hiking in a foreign country. My thinking is the US has great naturally scenic hikes. If I travel it is usually for cultural experiences.

It's about 10-15% of our budget. We are probably within the 13% range, and we decide in the first year of retirement to do the cheaper USA road trips, rather than the plane and cruises.
Part of the travel is study of different places where to retire, and side trips to interesting side trips.
We drive the old car and truck which is fully paid.

I voted for 20% approx. We have $5300 budgeted for travel out of a $32,000 annual budget. As our portfolio grows larger over time (we're pulling under 3%), I expect the travel budget to increase more than other elements. If our portfolio shrinks, we'll reduce the travel budget.

Back
Top Bottom