Poll: What's Your Walkscore?

What's Your (Primary Address) Walkscore?

• 90-100 Walker's Paradise

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 70-89 Very Walkable

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • 50-69 Somewhat Walkable

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • 25-49 Car Dependent

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • 0-24 (Hopelessly) Car Dependent

Votes: 20 28.6%

• Total voters
18, but I don't get it. I am one mile from a large Mall, with a few strip malls along the way as well as a major supermarket and 4 banks, etc. 18 did scare me as I don't drive, but DSO/GF thankfully does.

My childhood home comes in at 17 -- it would be 0, but a housing development went in that is within walking distance if you are willing to cross some no tresspassing fences, and there are some businesses there.

Our old neighborhood in NYC comes in at 97, and I agree with that assessment. It was incredibly walkable. I still kind of miss it.

Our current neighborhood in Beijing is 43, though there is a note that the scores may not be accurate. That seems about right, though -- our area is not terribly pedestrian friendly (though getting better with the opening of a major shopping center about 10-15 minutes walk away).

The neighborhood around my office is a bit better, at 68.

I got a 93% and I will be selling my car when I retire permanently as I have a new set of wheels ..an "ebike"
monaco-3.jpg

89 for us. Two blocks to shops, restaurants/bars, essential services. Don't drive a whole lot these days!

Last edited:
18 for us, we're in a very suburban golfcourse neighborhood. Interestingly, the small shopping center ~.5 miles away used to have a grocery store many moons ago. But all of the chains have gone to fewer supersized stores rather than more options in the neighborhoods. So the former grocery is now a medical clinic.

which makes sense as I am in the middle of the woods. But for the things "I" enjoy it is very walkable. I walk all over here with my dog, etc. I enjoy the rural life.

Now for things I don't enjoy, like grocery shopping, getting gas, etc--yes I do have to drive, but that just means the stuff I don't like is far away, which is the way I like it! If I make a trip into town, it counts and I get tons done. I don't make a lot of random trips though.

Back
Top Bottom