Porch Pirate Action

Sounds like a good one. Except the thieves will probably come back and throw it all over your front door.

Just copied this from a local chat group.

"Just put an Amazon package of dog poop on my porch, in 30 mins it was gone! Merry Christmas ya filthy pirates!! ��"

Sounds like a good idea.:dance:

I would hate to live in their neighborhood. We have not experienced such Shannahans. I put a post on our neighborhood FB site and no one else has either, at least not so far.

That was HILARIOUS! I watched the whole thing - this guy is my hero. :dance:

Let's hope he only uses his superpowers for good! :D

Yeah, unfortunately, it's probably illegal in some jurisdictions. Typical. Prosecute those who fight back (YMMV.)

We get packages that has the cheap styrofoam that falls apart and gets everywhere. Get a bunch of that and break it up then puts some rocks or something heavy down in it so they have to dig through to get to it with a nice note wishing them a Merry Christmas.

Never had this happen and haven't heard of it happening in my neighborhood, but I still try to get to my packages quickly.

Sounds like a good one. Except the thieves will probably come back and throw it all over your front door.

I also fear retaliation/escalation for anything like that. Fortunately, no problems here or previous home either, and here, though we are on a dead-end, a fair number of people walk by to the walking/jogging trail behind us. They wouldn't be thieves, but could provide cover for a thief.

But the video sure is fun!

-ERD50

I add a note that says "Your mother is ashamed of you, and sheds tears over the disgrace you bring your family."

Behold -- Glitter Box 4.0

Contains Glitter, Toyota Car Horn, Old Fart Spray, Video Phones and Tracking Devices !!

Over-Engineered ?? Yeah, you betcha.
Funny as all get-out ? Yes again.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you...ate=ive&vld=cid:4801c6e7,vid:3c584TGG7jQ,st:0

The guy in the video seems to be very bright and creative. Why not put those attributes to work designed a system that would safely store packages delivered to one’s house and keep the porch pirates from stealing them in the first place.

The guy in the video seems to be very bright and creative. Why not put those attributes to work designed a system that would safely store packages delivered to one’s house and keep the porch pirates from stealing them in the first place.

Because he's likely making more/easier money from the exposure on youtube?

edit/add:

I'm a bit curious about how youtubers earn $, some obviously put a lot of work and $ into the production, and I get the impression that youtube itself doesn't pay that much. In this guy's case:

My Christmas present to you all is this year long labor of love ✨❤️✨. If you want to learn the design fundamentals it takes to make something like the Glitter Bomb, enroll in my Creative Engineering course at https://monthly.com/MarkRober and I'll see you in class!

And he has a 'store' on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/@MarkRober/store

Hopefully, that makes it all worthwhile for him.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Those glitter box videos are fun to watch.

Luckily, we have never had anything stolen and as far as I know, no one on our street has either. There are quite a few retirees on this street, so more folks out and about in their yards, or peeking out the window :). We watch out for each other and let at least one know if leaving for some time, so we can monitor the house. It's nice.

Nothing stolen from us either... I and my family enjoy the Mark Rober videos in general. Squirrel ninja warriors course is fun to watch also. He is both entertaining and a good enginerd. His YouTube channel rakes in lots of money, $70k+/month from and he also pulls in monty from additional entrepreneurial endeavors. He is likely FI already, but makes entertaining videos and STEM projects.

Outside of just being entertaining and a STEM advocate he also managed to shut down several scam call centers in India.

Nothing stolen from us either... I and my family enjoy the Mark Rober videos in general. Squirrel ninja warriors course is fun to watch also. He is both entertaining and a good enginerd. His YouTube channel rakes in lots of money, $70k+/month from and he also pulls in monty from additional entrepreneurial endeavors. He is likely FI already, but makes entertaining videos and STEM projects.

Outside of just being entertaining and a STEM advocate he also managed to shut down several scam call centers in India.

The video is pretty cool. Still, as the guy points out, there seems to be little interest at the "official" level to deal with the various miscreants. (Yeah, the call centers, but...) When such behavior is punished, it will likely stop.

Such issues are so rampant here, the police try to protect tourists in tourist areas. They'll often park an empty police car in the lot. But, otherwise, they never even arrest folks who steal ATMs that take an hour to steal and the cars/thieves are all on camera. What's up with that?

NOT dealing with known fences seems the very worst of the official negligence.

Personally, when I park at a tourist area (hauling around guests or personally jonesing for the good old tourist days) I leave the windows down and nothing in the car.

Take my air freshener if you want, but don't break my window, brah. YMMV

The video is pretty cool. Still, as the guy points out, there seems to be little interest at the "official" level to deal with the various miscreants. (Yeah, the call centers, but...) When such behavior is punished, it will likely stop.

Such issues are so rampant here, the police try to protect tourists in tourist areas. They'll often park an empty police car in the lot. But, otherwise, they never even arrest folks who steal ATMs that take an hour to steal and the cars/thieves are all on camera. What's up with that?

NOT dealing with known fences seems the very worst of the official negligence.

Personally, when I park at a tourist area (hauling around guests or personally jonesing for the good old tourist days) I leave the windows down and nothing in the car.

Take my air freshener if you want, but don't break my window, brah. YMMV

No porch pirates in our neighborhood *YET*.... but I'm reading and learning in preparation for the future day when they will inevitably show up.

Back
Top Bottom