Power out = no internet and thus no security camera (Ring)

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
After this weather calms down, I’m going to look into a different security camera that works independent from the internet. I don’t like it when we lose internet and I lose my cameras. I have a generator so I have power, but even when the generator comes on, if the internet hub at the pole outside loses power, no internet and no cameras.

Has anyone ever installed one of the systems from Costco? I’d be looking for one that is POE with 6 or more cameras. Something with a DVR that can use WiFi and works over the internet, but will work without internet if I’m home. It frustrates me how many things don’t work without internet. Seems like they could/should work off my WiFi if my phone is on the same WiFi network. Thankfully some of my smart lightbulbs work without internet.

You might consider using a Solis Skyroam hotspot for internet for your security cameras... it connects to the internet using a cellular connection like your cellphone data and you would have internet as long as you have power and the cellphone tower it is connecting to has power. It could also serve as a backup internet connection when your primary internet connection fails.

Or a 5G hotspot.

Last edited:
Dogs are even better. When you hear the barking there's always enough time to load the shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom