Prescription medication and customs, US to Italy

Kayzmum

Recycles dryer sheets
I checked the Travel.State.Gov website regarding medication prescriptions and customs. It instructs to not bring more than a 30 day supply and it is recommended that you bring a copy of the prescription. Can thus be correct? I’ve heard if bringing the original bottles to prove what you have but a copy of the prescriptions?!

Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated. Thus us my first time traveling to Europe.

I’ve never had issues taking medication to Europe. If needed, you could take a picture of the prescription on your phone, in case you’re asked?

But I’d be surprised if anyone asks. I’ve traveled to Europe for decades, sometimes with meds and have never been asked.

My meds are in 7-compartment pill organizers, unmarked, no copies of scrips. Across 40+ countries I can't recall ever being stopped by customs. We are "Mr. & Mrs. Nothing To Declare."

Once, maybe 10 years ago we were stopped for an agricultural inspection upon arriving in New Zealand. They took two bottles of honey DW had brought for hostess gifts, had no interest in anything else.

Some countries are really picky--like Singapore. We were there in 2019 and we had to have written authorization from them--not heart/blood pressure, etc meds-but I brought something in case I needed it for flying and needed authorization for that.

They kicked it back the first time because I used "different" name than was on the prescription, i.e. Kathy instead of Katherine, etc.

I had to email them and they got back right away. Probably 95+% of the countries don't have anything like that but it doesn't hurt to check.

I checked the Travel.State.Gov website regarding medication prescriptions and customs. It instructs to not bring more than a 30 day supply and it is recommended that you bring a copy of the prescription. Can thus be correct? I’ve heard if bringing the original bottles to prove what you have but a copy of the prescriptions?!

Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated. Thus us my first time traveling to Europe.

Because I’ve now started traveling for multiple weeks when I go to Europe, I bring my entire bottle of each pill. Meaning the bottle from the pharmacy with all the prescription info on it. I’ve never brought a copy of a paper prescription. I never even have those in my possession in the US. I used to use a pill organizer, but now prefer the full bottle. It also helps if my trip gets extended for whatever reason. None of my prescriptions are controlled substances.

When you arrive in Europe, customs will be nothing more than walking thru a door with your bags. You generally do not stop and open them for anyone. However, the officials do have the right to do so. I’ve never been stopped.

Passport control is a separate process and you will go thru that, for sure. It occurs before you get your luggage.

Edited to add: Because I buy my prescriptions with a 90-day supply, I guess I’ve often had more than a 30-day supply with me. Perhaps, in the future, I will make sure I don’t have more than a 30-day supply with me based on the info in this thread.

Last edited:
Have been to traveling to Europe (and mostly Italy) routinely for many years with medication and I've never had a single issue let alone even ever been asked about meds. On a typical aircraft with 300 people, probably 75% are traveling with some type of medications. No one even blinks an eye over your meds let alone ever see them.

The only meds that I would take in an original container would be a controlled substance such as pain meds. I believe that's also legally required in most countries. As for proof of prescriptions, most of us can pull up our prescription online within minutes.

We are in Italy now and didn’t have any baggage inspections. We brought a 45 day supply in original bottles. I brought the medication list from our electronic medical records just in case. Be careful about which medications are not allowed. ADHD Medications (ie, Ritalin) and some narcotics, for example, are not allowed, even with a prescription.

We are in Italy now and didn’t have any baggage inspections. We brought a 45 day supply in original bottles. I brought the medication list from our electronic medical records just in case. Be careful about which medications are not allowed. ADHD Medications (ie, Ritalin) and some narcotics, for example, are not allowed, even with a prescription.

+1

Be VERY careful with narcotics, as some countries consider it a crime even with prescription..

There was a famous case of some executive who brought in your regular pain narcotic pill... got arrested .
https://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/toyota-executive-oxycodone-arrest/index.html

Thank you, everyone for responding! I feel confident I’ll be doing the right thing now. Since this is my first time traveling to Europe, I’ve been concerned I would miss some important detail and ruin the trip. Our plane leaves in just a few days and we’ll be gone 2 weeks. It’s a lot of planning and preparation, but it’s all worth it.

+1

Be VERY careful with narcotics, as some countries consider it a crime even with prescription..

There was a famous case of some executive who brought in your regular pain narcotic pill... got arrested .
https://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/toyota-executive-oxycodone-arrest/index.html

Yikes! I’ll make sure to caution everyone. It’s me and 4 friends going. Even though we’re not mailing anything, the same rules would apply going through customs during our trip.

Have been to traveling to Europe (and mostly Italy) routinely for many years with medication and I've never had a single issue let alone even ever been asked about meds. On a typical aircraft with 300 people, probably 75% are traveling with some type of medications. No one even blinks an eye over your meds let alone ever see them.

The only meds that I would take in an original container would be a controlled substance such as pain meds. I believe that's also legally required in most countries. As for proof of prescriptions, most of us can pull up our prescription online within minutes.

That’s an excellent point about pulling prescriptions up online!

I take a daily prescription in a powder form. I double bag it in a freezer zip lock & print a picture of the prescription in between the 2 bags. We had 7 flights. It got pulled aside once. They weren't worried about the drug but the powder form. Possible explosive. I'm usually about 50% on getting pulled aside. all the other drugs are OTC

I brought a copy of my prescriptions to Europe but no one is checking anything.

The prescription bottles are meaningless. Actually, so are the prescriptions themselves. They do not confirm that that the product matches either the pill bottle or the script.

We have been traveling for the past 50 years. Last 12 years multiple trips to Europe, Africa, SE Asia, Australia. Lots of Italy, Turkey, Greece, etdc. Three or four times through Naritia, Japan, twice through Changi, Singapore four years ago.

Often for 8-9 weeks at a time. That means DW takes 11 weeks or so worth of pills with her. We only do carry on so they are there to see if we are asked to open our bag. Which sometimes happens.

Not once, ever, have we been questioned about drugs. DW carried a controlled drug supply from Malaysia to Australia following a serious back injury in Kuala Lumpur. Not even the blink of an eye from Oz customs.

The thing is....we probably do not match the demographic, etc. Experienced border and customs people know what to look for in demographics, behavior, etc. Not to mention the sniffer dogs that are sometime lurking about. We typically zip through. Last time entering Australia the customers officer looked at us, jokingly asked if we were smuggling in any maple syrup (because of our nationality), and waived us through. And OZ is supposed to be 'tight' on entry.

We sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with only traveling with international size carry ons and no checked bags. Not much room for any drugs!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom