Pressure Cooker Lid - To Submerge or Not? That is the Question

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm a bit confused about what I should be doing to wash my pressure cooker lid.

The instruction book says do not submerge, but rinse with water. I've been doing that. But the instruction doesn't say why not submerge.

Then I see where some stick their Instant Pot lids in the dishwasher. Isn't that even more rough than giving a lid a soapy dip in the sink?

Then I read an article where someone was in a fright of having soaked their Instant Pot in the sink. The article then says don't panic. Take apart the small parts and wash them. You should be good. Huh? Something doesn't make sense or am I overthinking?

I can’t speak to all pressure cookers, but I routinely submerse my InstantPot lid in hot soapy water. I pull off the release valve (on the outside of the lid) and occasionally the perforated cover over the release valve (inside the lid). My oldest InstantPot is at least seven years old and it’s still working. I have also occasionally put it in the dishwasher on the top rack.

I never noticed any warning for not submerging my Instant Pot lid but I haven’t checked the book. I’ve always washed it in soapy water like anything else, after removing the pressure relief knob, its filter screen thingy, and the gasket. I see no indication of water trapped within the lid. I see various web pages that say you can put it in the dishwasher but I don’t see a reason to since it rarely gets very soiled and it would take up a lot of space.

Edit to add: I found the book for the current version online and it specifically says the lid is dishwasher safe. Maybe yours is an older version?

You need to check the serial number of the Instant Pot. If the sum of the digits is a prime number, then you can rinse it with pure, triple filtered, distilled water, but for no longer than 35 seconds at a time, or seven minutes cumulative time over the current fiscal quarter.

If it's not a prime, but is an even number, then warm (not over 115°F) water can be used, and the above time limits are doubled.

If not prime and an odd number, use only lukewarm water with a soft sponge to gently clean it.

If you're not sure you calculated it correctly, then just use the dishwasher.

I should have clarified that I do not own an Instant Pot but a different brand.

The instructions for that brand says only the inner pot is washable in the dishwasher.

I don't use the dishwasher for pressure cooker. Was just wondering why would instructions say to not soak the lid since there was no reason explained.

You need to check the serial number of the Instant Pot. If the sum of the digits is a prime number, then you can rinse it with pure, triple filtered, distilled water, but for no longer than 35 seconds at a time, or seven minutes cumulative time over the current fiscal quarter.

If it's not a prime, but is an even number, then warm (not over 115°F) water can be used, and the above time limits are doubled.

If not prime and an odd number, use only lukewarm water with a soft sponge to gently clean it.

If you're not sure you calculated it correctly, then just use the dishwasher.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have an instant pot with 2 lids.
One for pressure cooking and one for air frying.
The air fryer lid has a warning to not immerse lid in any liquid.
The pressure cooker lid does not have that warning on the lid.

I honestly just wipe the lid down with paper towels but I’ve only used it for hard boiled eggs and oatmeal. I think it’s a pain to use.
The air fryer is great for reheating French fries. Again- more of a pain to use.

We have had 2 different Insta-pots for years and wash the lids all the time.

I hand wash my insta pot lid, but do submerge, not soak, while washing and rinsing.

We just fill the underneath lid with hot soapy water and rinse, washing the seal separately if warranted. We don’t submerge it.

We just fill the underneath lid with hot soapy water and rinse, washing the seal separately if warranted. We don’t submerge it.

+1
Same here.

Also have a glass lid for mine for doing slow cooking so I can see it cooking !
It was cheap years ago for about $9 (not instant-pot brand).

I wash it without a care :LOL:

I should have clarified that I do not own an Instant Pot but a different brand.

The instructions for that brand says only the inner pot is washable in the dishwasher.

I don't use the dishwasher for pressure cooker. Was just wondering why would instructions say to not soak the lid since there was no reason explained.

I have a different brand too. Power XL. I pull out the inner lid and take the gasket off. Those parts can go in the dishwasher, but we hand wash them. The only thing that gets underneath the inner lid is plain superheated, sterilized water. That part of the lid just gets dried. If it is not visibly soiled, there’s nothing to clean.

I have a different brand too. Power XL. I pull out the inner lid and take the gasket off. Those parts can go in the dishwasher, but we hand wash them. The only thing that gets underneath the inner lid is plain superheated, sterilized water. That part of the lid just gets dried. If it is not visibly soiled, there’s nothing to clean.

I have a Zavor brand. I too pull out the inner lid and take of the gasket to hand wash. I've been putting a dap of dish soap on the underneath of the lid and then rinsing. Still wonder what's the reasoning though of not just dunking the lid in soapy dishwater.

I reached out to Zavor Support.

They apologized for the misinformation and said I could go ahead and submerge the lid :).

Back
Top Bottom