Pressure Cooker Recall

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
About 1 million pressure cookers recalled :(: Insignia brand. I have not heard of that brand before but I guess it's a big seller at Best Buy.

A massive amount of pressure cookers have been put under recall, with seller Best Buy being prompted to do so Thursday due to an issue that could lead to consumers suffering burns.

The potential danger stems from the inner pots of the recalled Insignia multi-function pressure cookers having "incorrect volume markings" inside of them, a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) alert said. Due to the erroneous markings, consumers could "overfill the pot," something the recall notice said could lead "liquids to be ejected when the pressure cooker is vented using the quick release method or opened while its contents are pressurized."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifesty...s-sold-best-buy-recalled-possible-burn-hazard

In general, I find that many Chinese made products that have volume markings are more of a suggestion than a rule. Consider it an estimate. We've had multiple products like this. Both an Instantpot and a rice cooker came with a little plastic "1 cup" measure cup. Neither were 1 cup. But it was sort of close. I doubt the plastic cup is worthy of a recall since we're not talking large volume. I haven't measured the inside markings on the pot.

It may be cultural, or it may be incompetence. I'm actually going to with cultural. Serious cooks or bakers there probably weigh out ingredients. Volume measurements have probably been a culture of: "this looks good."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom