PSA: Quality Insoles!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Probably a limited audience for this, so FWIW.

With a painful bout of plantar fasciitis over a year ago, I bought the best quality insoles I could find *** for golf and (exercise) walking. I did various exercises as well, so no idea what helped, maybe it all did. I have kept the insoles in my golf and [-]running[/-] walking shoes.

Last week I played golf, walked all 18 holes (about 18K steps) and my calfs and feet hurt after, more than I'd noticed in prior rounds. I noticed I'd worn golf shoes with the cheap insoles they came with, thought that might be it. So happens I have two pairs of identical golf shoes, just different colors, so I wore the pair with the good insoles the next round. And no leg or foot pain after that round or several more after. There is no doubt in my mind the insoles made a substantial difference, night and day.

So I'm convinced the really good (better than Dr Scholl's or drug store insoles) DO make a substantial difference. So much so, that I bought another two pairs for my golf, walking and hiking shoes.

*** PowerStep Pinnacle and Pulse Plus - but there are some other top notch insoles e.g. Superfeet

After some serious plantar fasciitis from basketball I invested in orthotics.

Never had a problem again. Still have them but one is broken. The orthotics I mean...

There are lots of insoles and heel cups that say they are for plantar fasciitis. But unless they prevent your plantar fascia from stretching (unless they are very firm) it will be a long healing process, no pun intended.

I seldom recall needing them for golf, if ever. More wear and tear on your feet from running and basketball.

Last edited:
I also need and use orthotics in my running shoes. Best I've ever found are called PowerStep ProTech. I've been using them for years, and so has DW. They're only sold by medical professionals -- you can't buy them in a store.

But last time I asked my local podiatrist to get me a pair he just gave me a special URL and a code number so I could order them direct myself. Much to my surprise, they were the same price as the retail version (but better).

I've been using Powerstep Pinnacle Breeze Max for almost 3 years after getting plantar fasciitis right after knee surgery in late May 2019. I used to always wear cheap inserts with arch support due to flat feet. The difference in the more expensive inserts is easy to feel and helped to relieve my plantar fasciitis. I'm a believer!!!

VW

Totally flat feet here, so need motion-control shoes (Brooks Beast are my favorite), orthotic inserts (I like Superfeet), and, since I spend much of the year in flipflops, Spenco (they make various sandals and other footwear).

I had a bout of plantar fasciitis last year. The insole really made a difference. I only got the Dr. Scholl’s but they helped. I also changed my main shoe over to a Merrell and I think they had the biggest impact. I put the Dr. Scholl’s in my Brooks walking shoes and just used the insole that came with the Merrill’s.

I can definitely feel the way the heel is lower in both insoles. I’ll never wear anything without that again. Thanks - I never thought about putting them in my golf shoes. I’ll look at one of the brands mentioned and get them. One thing I liked about the Dr. Scholl’s is that they came sized to fit my shoe. No cutting to fit.

Also, one thing I learned from my Dr. was that plantar fasciitis is basically a calf issue. He told me to use a roller and showed me some pressure points. Frankly, I did that for a couple days, which did help, but good habits are not my strong suit. I think the consistency of the inserts helped the best.

Timely discussion as I've been suffering from plantar fasciitis for about 6 weeks. I've done the taping, the insoles and the stretches. What really seems to be helping is a so called night sock that keeps one from pointing their toes during sleep. The tell tale of PF is that awful pain when you first step out of bed in the morning. With the splint, that is relieved and my walking discomfort has been much better, as well.

The plantar fasciitis challenge is one I’ve experienced. Night splints and orthotics were crucial to recovery. And I never go barefoot anymore except in bed and in the shower. I found Crocs are the best around the house footwear for me - no slippers or flat shoes.

Interesting. I had some for issues and saw a podiatrist. One of the things they set me up with was these super stiff insoles to reduce foot flexion. It made walking long distances much more comfortable.

I have been using custom orthotics for decades. It is getting time to replace the old things. I will probably go to a podiatrist because I don’t know how important the details are. Mine have slightly raised heels that the OTC ones don’t.

I have mild PF. It shows up as heal pain mostly. I went to the Power Step web site to take a look. There are a bewildering number of inserts to choose from. How do you figure out which one to buy?

A few years ago I developed Achilles tendonitis and was sent to physical therapy. Discovered I had a fallen arch and the therapist recommended Spenco inner soles that I bought through Amazon. Fully recovered and no issues since I started using inner soles in sneakers and buying scandals/ballet flats with built in arch support, spenco or vionic brands.

A few years ago I developed Achilles tendonitis and was sent to physical therapy. Discovered I had a fallen arch and the therapist recommended Spenco inner soles that I bought through Amazon. Fully recovered and no issues since I started using inner soles in sneakers and buying scandals/ballet flats with built in arch support, spenco or vionic brands.

I ordered the Spenco total support max today from Amazon and will give them a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another past PF diagnosis here.
Did the ice, golfball rolling, night splint, custom orthotics.
Best thing that helped long term was switching to Dansko clogs, as I was on my feet almost all day at work.
I have not had a problem in several years, and have even been able to go back to bare feet frequently at home.
I also buy all my shoes from Foot/Shoe stores, there I can step on their machines and recheck my balance and walking. I have been able to switch from Dansko, finally.

Another past PF diagnosis here.
Did the ice, golfball rolling, night splint, custom orthotics.
Best thing that helped long term was switching to Dansko clogs, as I was on my feet almost all day at work.
I have not had a problem in several years, and have even been able to go back to bare feet frequently at home.
I also buy all my shoes from Foot/Shoe stores, there I can step on their machines and recheck my balance and walking. I have been able to switch from Dansko, finally.
OP here. In addition to PowerStep insoles, I bought some Oofos Slides - that’s all I wear in the house. Another seemingly expensive but well worth it buy IME. Between insoles, slides, stretches and exercises, I’ve been plantar fasciitis free for over a year now, and I walk up 4-10 miles/day.

https://www.oofos.com/collections/men

5633-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Last edited:
PF diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago. On some earlier post, someone recommended Copper Fit insoles. Bought a pair. They are great. Now, I have about 7 pair. Current price is $15.39.

I don't mind paying more. What about the insoles mentioned above made you decide to spend $25 to $60 each?

OP here. In addition to PowerStep insoles, I bought some Oofos Slides - that’s all I wear in the house. Another seemingly expensive but well worth it buy IME. Between insoles, slides, stretches and exercises, I’ve been plantar fasciitis free for over a year now, and I walk up 4-10 miles/day.

https://www.oofos.com/collections/men

5633-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I bought a pair of these about a year ago. The springy cush is pretty amazing isn't it? Definitely glad I got them.

PF diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago. On some earlier post, someone recommended Copper Fit insoles. Bought a pair. They are great. Now, I have about 7 pair. Current price is $15.39.

I don't mind paying more. What about the insoles mentioned above made you decide to spend $25 to $60 each?

They reduced/eliminated the pain. The basic brands at Walmart/Target did not improve the pain.

Back
Top Bottom