Question for Landlords

Livefree

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone had to deal with De-Leading an apartment? I got a call from one of my Tenants and they informed me that they had a baby.

I've been a Landlord for 24 years and this has never come up before, mainly because I rented to roommates, or young couples that moved out, bought a house etc.

The house has all new double hung vinyl windows, and I've heard this is where the majority of the Lead poses the most problems (from old window sashes being raised up and down) and the paint is all new on the walls and baseboard.

I talked to my Realtor and he said I should approach them and just inquire as to what their plans are going forward. I would hate to spend a lot of $$ and then they move anyway.

The house is located in Mass. so the rules are pretty strict regarding children under six living there.

Any thoughts?

I would think your biggest exposure would be with trying to scrap old lead paint off the walls, best thing to do is paint over old lead paint unless you have local laws madating removal. As long as you don't have loose, cracked, chipped or peeling paint, the lead shouldn't pose a danger to a baby. We brought up our son (he's 10 now) in a lead painted house, all his lead tests came back all 0's for lead exposure, and we had chipped, cracked and peeling paint. Any doctor will tell you the biggest danger is eating the paint chips. Sounds like your paint jobs were just done, so you shouldn't have any of these issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom