Question For RVers

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When you are not able to cook outdoors, how do you avoid winding up with your whole interior covered in a layer of grease? I like to do stir fries, and grease gets into the air. Do these RVs have super duty range hoods? Or do you just avoid cooking on high heat?

Climbing into bed with a thin layer of cooking oil and garlic on it doesn't sound good.

Thanks for any comments,

Ha

There is a range hood with fan on our stove, which is pretty powerful, but Greg avoids wild cooking in the RV. The cooking tends more to soups and bean rollups.

Our most recent meal on the fire, a fine bean and veggie soup with a bit of chorizo for zip:

img_433300_0_90e2926e674f3fef8f04dbfadfe4c016.jpg

Ha, many RVs have external hookups for propane. You can bring along a small external burner and hook it up outside to do messy cooking.

We have a heavy-duty fan/hood that is designed to capture grease also, but I haven't done any major stir-frying . I have pan-fried some meat though, and although it spatters oil a wee bit, the spatters seem to be confined to the stove top. I've never had an issue with a layer of grease over everything. Might be that I have a large motorhome with plenty of kitchen counter space?

Whenever I cook something "fragrant" the smell does tend to stick around overnight, but is gone by the next afternoon. I don't mind smelling garlic, etc., after the fact.

I definitely prefer to cook the smellier stuff outdoors (particularly fish/seafood). I've seen a wok attachment for a small, very efficient charcoal grill. Ever seen the Cobb Grill? It's kind of cool.

Audrey

When the weather permits we cook on the grill outside. If the weather does not permit, we make reservations. Our rv has two nice fantastic fans that really do a very efficient job of removing smoke and smells.
BTW, at home we don't cook oily foods in the house either..

Dave

ex_CFO_now_RVer said:
BTW, at home we don't cook oily foods in the house either..

I'm with ya there Dave! I like to fish and by winter we have a freezer of wally filets. For health reason, we usually broil or bake, but once in a while we do treat ourselves to breaded, fried filets washed down with a couple of brewski's. ::) (You can just feel your arteries clogging but mmmm mmmm good.) And that means hooking up the deep fryer outside or in the garage, even if it's ten below out there. The neighbors used to look out the window and laugh at me in my parka frying away..........until I brought them over a steaming basket of golden brown filets. Now I get phone calls asking when the next fish fry is!

Cooking the stinky and oily stuff outdoors is the best approach. I would not even consider stinking up the coach with garlic or fried food smells. The range hood will help but it won't get all the stink and in cold weather it would be hard to vent the coach to dilute the odor. Awnings on RVs can allow you to cook outside even in a light rain. Otherwise, stick to the less fragrant foods until you can get outside to cook them.

SteveR said:
Cooking the stinky and oily stuff outdoors is the best approach. I would not even consider stinking up the coach with garlic or fried food smells. The range hood will help but it won't get all the stink and in cold weather it would be hard to vent the coach to dilute the odor. Awnings on RVs can allow you to cook outside even in a light rain. Otherwise, stick to the less fragrant foods until you can get outside to cook them.

Looks like the consensus is avoid grease inside the rig.

I should probably try this at home too. When I became cook for my son and I, I bought a 14" iron skillet and a lot of canola oil. I grew fond of watching the stuff hissing a popping in the skillet.

It was only earlier this year that I figured out that the grime that keeps getting on everything is from my cooking.

I have some must-do jobs before freezing weather. Once I am done with these, I think I will make myself a nice covered area outside so I can crank it up. Outdoors I use a huge carbon steel wok on a crab pot torch. It will glow red, but that gets scary so I back off.

Martha - that stuff in your iron skillet on the wood fire looks really good and really fun to be doing.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom