Question on Selling Funds in Brokerage Account

Wrkn4wkend

Dryer sheet wannabe
Okay, so for 15 years we have been adding money to our Roth IRA's and taxable brokerage account. Its all index funds and I have left it on auto pilot but as we move closer to considering ER I will want to start moving some of the funds into cash/fixed income.

If I sell a fund in a taxable brokerage account does that trigger a taxable event? In our 401K's we have guaranteed/stable value funds to move the money to but it seems like a money market is the only option in the brokerage account if I do a fund to fund transfer.

Thanks in advance

Yes it will trigger a taxable event, either be a long term or short term Capital Gain/Loss depending on the holding period.

Stable value funds are basically only offered in 401k type plans. Closest thing you'll find at a brokerage is mm fund.

Yes it will trigger a taxable event, either be a long term or short term Capital Gain/Loss depending on the holding period.

Stable value funds are basically only offered in 401k type plans. Closest thing you'll find at a brokerage is mm fund.

Ya, that's what I thought. It just seems odd to me when looking at the MM funds they have an expense ratio 0.45%-0.62% which is higher then the 0.10%-0.29% for the index funds. I also have become a little skittish with some of the things I have read regarding what will happen to MM funds if/when then default happens.

Last edited:
You can have the sales proceeds sent to your bank account, where you can move it into a savings account, money market or CDs there or at any other institution.

An online MM account is nice for short-term cash, at a little less than 1% interest rate. Not as good as a SV fund, but simple and the best unrestricted option that I know of. Ally, Barclays, GE, and Sallie Mae are possibilities. FDIC insured, so about as safe as you can get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom