Quitting in style

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
http://bit.ly/1HIX00z

Listen to this, from the CBC Radio show The Current:

'I Quit!': Author Matt Potter on how resignations shaped history - July 22, 2015

If you've ever fantasized about the best way to say "Take this job and shove it!", then our interview with Matt Potter is for you. His recent book chronicles how high profile resignations in politics, arts and business have changed the course of history.

My resignation letter was short, basically saying I was leaving (not retiring), and when my last day would be. My real bombshell was my exit interview with the top boss, not my boss's boss. I basically told her he did absolutely nothing (they had painted the prior boss as having done too much), and that he would not survive the next audit. Sure enough, he was asked to resign about a year after I had submitted my resignation, about 5 months after the fiscal year end. I know that if I kept working, he would still be there as I would be doing most of his work.

We had a department head who resigned via a sarcastic, childish email to his manager. Paraphrasing:

"When I got my performance review I was down-rated for not achieving the mandated cost-savings targets. However, my boss did say he was confident I could do better. And so I started to think... My boss thinks I can do better. But HOW can I do better? There has to be a way! And after some serious self-examination, I realized, Hey! I could go work somewhere else! That WOULD be doing better! And today will be my last day working here at Megacorp."

Back
Top Bottom