Ready to Retire from Fed Gov

HondoBob

Dryer sheet wannabe
I’ve been lurking here for a while, absorbing all the wisdom, and am finally ready to solicit your sage advice.

I retired from the Army as an E7 almost 19 years ago after 21 years on active duty. About 18 months later I started receiving VA disability payments at a 50 percent disability rating (combat related). I worked more than 6 years as a megacorp contractor then switched over for the past 13 years as a federal employee GS13 electronics engineer. I’ve been diligent with savings, investments, TSP, etc. and have zero debt – I own my own home on five acres, a couple of vehicles, camper, livestock, and hobby stuff. Medical is a very modest $500-ish per year for Tricare Prime with free full VA medical as a backup. Cost of living in southern Arizona is very low in this close knit military and retired community. My vested 401K, two years’ salary in savings, money market investments, and TSP add up to about $850k right now. Military retirement plus VA payments are just over $30k annually, which will be supplemented with FERS MRA+10 retirement of only about $9k annually (reduced for survivor annuity). Expenses are about $680 each month for utilities, insurance, property/vehicle taxes, food, fuel, cell phones, and entertainment. I grew up in a family of contractors so I do most of my own construction, plumbing, and electrical work, plus the Army taught me all about tearing apart vehicles to keep them running almost forever. Arizona taught me how to tend cattle to keep our big freezer full. My wife says she will continue working her six figure job at least until SS age.

I’m only 57 but finally ready to retire and jump on the FIRE train. Initiating retirement is quick and easy now that everything is automated online at the Army Benefits Center website. Just fill in the data fields, select a retirement date, then click the big Submit button with no groveling to local HR staff. It even allows same-day, no notice, immediate retirement with everything processed and disbursed from echelons way above the local command.

Sucking up the suck might be possible for a few more years (lol – not!) to bring me closer to SS age but my tolerance for the seemingly endless government duplicity, narcissism, nepotism, despotism, and boorishness (a.k.a. “politics”) is wearing thin. I’m frankly looking forward to finally working my land and livestock, house projects, four-wheeling my Jeeps, occasionally dragging the camper out for weekend excursions, and maybe exploring old desert ghost towns. Maybe I’ll consider applying to occasionally help drive the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) shuttle bringing veterans to their medical appointments. Or maybe I’ll first take a stay-cation to read, ponder, and play with the ham radios. FireCalc indicated no failures over 30 years, but I’d sincerely appreciate your perspectives and opinions.

Now to have some cheese with my “whine” – lol. Thanks in advance!

Welcome HondoBob!

Thanks for your service! You’ll find several Vets here, many of whom are very familiar with military benefits. So, this is a good place for that kind of advice.

If your total monthly cost is really only $680/mo, and you have a DW who plans to keep working, then my first thought is “What took you so long to retire?” I’d suggest that you list your & DW’s joint annual expenses (now & what’s expected in FIRE), in order to get better quality advice from the community. Also address what your DW will do for medical care after FIRE. In the meantime, here are some good links to start with.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-answer-before-asking-can-i-retire-69999.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...uality-discussions-you-should-read-33198.html

Hi HB. As you may know, lots of veterans here. I'm a long tooth E-8. Downsized after the cold war from the active ranks at 15 years, but another 15 in the reserves. While in the reserves, I had a decent middle management run in the mega-c*rp world. Tri-care and military pension made retirement at 60 easy peasy.

If your solid on knowing your expenses, run FIREcalc, then get your ass to the free zone!

As one vet to another - thanks.

Oh, I'm having wine now - - - Malbec.

Last edited:
Thanks Houston55!

Yes, our joint monthly expenses are about $680 each month, though a couple of times a year we might splurge up to about $850 in a month for a fun junket or a vehicle repair I can't quickly fix myself. We like to share moments together rather than spend money on empty stuff. I guess we're funny that way?

As for healthcare, DW is covered by my Tricare Prime and also has her own VA payment with a 60 percent rating. That would also add about $1100 each month, plus her W2 salary.

Last edited:
Thank you Red Badger for your service! FireCalc said we should be okay but I like to hear from great folks like you who've "been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it."

BTW - Malbec is a nice choice!

Thanks Houston55!

Yes, our joint monthly expenses are about $680 each month, though a couple of times a year we might splurge up to about $850 in a month for a fun junket or a vehicle repair I can't quickly fix myself. We like to share moments together rather than spend money on empty stuff. I guess we're funny that way?

As for healthcare, DW is covered by my Tricare Prime and also has her own VA payment with a 60 percent rating. That 11would also add about $1100 each month, plus her W2 salary.
We have a little plaque in our little patio oasis. It says, "The best things in life are not things".

HondoBob, welcome from another vet. Your numbers seem to be in great shape. DW did 21 active and is 6 years into her GS-13 life. She wants to complete 15 federal service. We'll see if she makes it. My 23 yr retired check and VA dis along with Tricare makes life easy to deal with. Thanks for your service and good luck.

I’ve been lurking here for a while, absorbing all the wisdom, and am finally ready to solicit your sage advice.

I retired from the Army as an E7 almost 19 years ago after 21 years on active duty. About 18 months later I started receiving VA disability payments at a 50 percent disability rating (combat related). I worked more than 6 years as a megacorp contractor then switched over for the past 13 years as a federal employee GS13 electronics engineer. I’ve been diligent with savings, investments, TSP, etc. and have zero debt – I own my own home on five acres, a couple of vehicles, camper, livestock, and hobby stuff. Medical is a very modest $500-ish per year for Tricare Prime with free full VA medical as a backup. Cost of living in southern Arizona is very low in this close knit military and retired community. My vested 401K, two years’ salary in savings, money market investments, and TSP add up to about $850k right now. Military retirement plus VA payments are just over $30k annually, which will be supplemented with FERS MRA+10 retirement of only about $9k annually (reduced for survivor annuity). Expenses are about $680 each month for utilities, insurance, property/vehicle taxes, food, fuel, cell phones, and entertainment. I grew up in a family of contractors so I do most of my own construction, plumbing, and electrical work, plus the Army taught me all about tearing apart vehicles to keep them running almost forever. Arizona taught me how to tend cattle to keep our big freezer full. My wife says she will continue working her six figure job at least until SS age.

I’m only 57 but finally ready to retire and jump on the FIRE train. Initiating retirement is quick and easy now that everything is automated online at the Army Benefits Center website. Just fill in the data fields, select a retirement date, then click the big Submit button with no groveling to local HR staff. It even allows same-day, no notice, immediate retirement with everything processed and disbursed from echelons way above the local command.

Sucking up the suck might be possible for a few more years (lol – not!) to bring me closer to SS age but my tolerance for the seemingly endless government duplicity, narcissism, nepotism, despotism, and boorishness (a.k.a. “politics”) is wearing thin. I’m frankly looking forward to finally working my land and livestock, house projects, four-wheeling my Jeeps, occasionally dragging the camper out for weekend excursions, and maybe exploring old desert ghost towns. Maybe I’ll consider applying to occasionally help drive the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) shuttle bringing veterans to their medical appointments. Or maybe I’ll first take a stay-cation to read, ponder, and play with the ham radios. FireCalc indicated no failures over 30 years, but I’d sincerely appreciate your perspectives and opinions.

Now to have some cheese with my “whine” – lol. Thanks in advance!

HondoBob
I am right there with ya. Retired as a Command E9 in 04 and been working for the gov either in a contractor and/or government capacity since then. Plan is to retire Jan 2020 with my mil pension, 90% disability, small gov pension, and about 900k-1M in investments.
Your expenses are awesome indeed. Mine are at 5-6K monthly but have enough not to pull investments for a long time. Good on Ya.. Enjoy it, it's coming quick :)

Back
Top Bottom