Reason 638 Why FIRE Is Wonderful!

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
FIRE doesn't require plastic surgery! Or expensive anti-aging products!

As this TIME article shows, people over 40 or 50 are spending tons of money to look younger so they can successfully compete in the job market:

How Not to Look Old on the Job - TIME

The actual TIME article in the magazine shows the following procedures and costs:

tooth lengthening $1500 to $1800 per tooth

butt lift and implant- $4500 (butt lifts increased 60% in men from 2000 to 2006)

neck tuck $4800

knee tightening $500

earlobe repair $500 to $800 per ear

extreme hand makeover $300 to $1500 for lasers; $2,000 for fillers

Just some more stuff to set people back even further away from being to retire (although AARP insists that 79% of boomers plan to work during the traditional retirement work---not clear if this is by choice or not).

And aside from the cost and the pain of these procedures, do they really make people actually look younger? Or, at the most, well-maintained and looking like they "had some work done?"

And aside from the cost and the pain of these procedures, do they really make people actually look younger? Or, at the most, well-maintained and looking like they "had some work done?"

I heard plastic surgery described once as enabling one to "create the temporary illusion of youth, by candlelight."

Hardly seems worth it.

If you want to look like [-]Cesar Romero's Joker character in Batman[/-] Joan Rivers...

If I had to get my teeth lengthened, my earlobes done, or my butt lifted for my job, I think it would be time to hit the bricks.

I guess for modeling or a tv personality, it might come in handy. I worked with financial statements, so no one really cared if I didn't have a hubba hubba hiney. :D

Just some more stuff to set people back even further away from being to retire (although AARP insists that 79% of boomers plan to work during the traditional retirement work---not clear if this is by choice or not).
Depends on what they mean by "work."

If you define "work" as "something I do by choice rather than economic need, where I have some choice about the hours I work, the number of hours I work and the days of the week I work, and where I derive satisfaction in what I'm doing and I can tell 'em to cram it and quit if they start making it unpleasant," then sure, maybe I'll "work" after I'm FIREd, too. But to me that's not really work. That's just a pastime that has the side benefit of paying a little bit.

They can look pretty good, but I don't know how long it lasts. I met someone, probably in her early/mid 40s, a few years ago who had gotten an overhaul, and looked pretty hot. But after 5-6 years, everything sagged and got undone and she does not look too good at all now.

Depends on what they mean by "work."

If you define "work" as "something I do by choice rather than economic need, where I have some choice about the hours I work, the number of hours I work and the days of the week I work, and where I derive satisfaction in what I'm doing and I can tell 'em to cram it and quit if they start making it unpleasant," then sure, maybe I'll "work" after I'm FIREd, too. But to me that's not really work. That's just a pastime that has the side benefit of paying a little bit.

I'm not even going to do that, if I can help it! It may not be really work, but it's too close to work for me.

I am SO ready to be free at last.

I'm not even going to do that, if I can help it! It may not be really work, but it's too close to work for me.

I am SO ready to be free at last.
Heh. But you see, my definition IS freedom, at least as I see it. If the conditions and hours suck, you leave! ZERO financial need to stay, and if they want to force you into something you don't like -- unacceptable hours, unacceptable work -- you tell them to pound sand.

As much as I want to really retire, part of me wants to have that kind of leverage on my "employer" before I really call it quits. My dad had that leverage with his Megacorp as soon as he turned 55 and was eligible for retirement. He told me he loved being there when some of the managers who used to ride him kissed his butt because they KNEW he could retire.

That wouldn't be my motivation, BUT if I could find something that I liked for a few hours a week, that I could do on my own terms...

How are we supposed to compete with the rest of the world if managers are basing hiring decisions on who has the most youthful earlobes, and employees are wasting time worrying about the attractiveness of their earlobes rather than working? Eeek.

I worked with financial statements, so no one really cared if I didn't have a hubba hubba hiney. :D

Me too! I'm happy to never have worked somewhere where my worth was determed by my hinder and earlobes. I'm even happier not to be working anymore:D

I didn't know teeth got shorter? And what's with the earlobe repair....I didn't know anything happened to them?
Joan Rivers absolutely scares the heck out of me!

:2funny:

With all the new surgeries out there...just shoot me. I must be too ugly to live.

You poor womens! Us guys don't have these issues. F'rinstance, here's some random guy named Sean twenty years ago and as he looks today. The kicker is, he's 117 years old.

nm_connery_080211_ssh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom