Rebalancing when you mainly have high gain Taxable accounts

outofratrace

Dryer sheet aficionado
I retired early and am 48. 92% of my portfolio is in taxable accounts. 8% is in a IRA. Over the years I have sold tax lots that result in losses first or lowest gains first. But now basically all stock "lots" have huge gains of at least 300% so anything I rebalance is going to be taxed heavily. My instinct tells me to let the rebalancing slide for as long as possible. Is there any other better ideas?

I retired early and am 48. 92% of my portfolio is in taxable accounts. 8% is in a IRA. Over the years I have sold tax lots that result in losses first or lowest gains first. But now basically all stock "lots" have huge gains of at least 300% so anything I rebalance is going to be taxed heavily. My instinct tells me to let the rebalancing slide for as long as possible. Is there any other better ideas?

I hope you are happy with an equity heavy portfolio. If not, Start small and take some capital gains within the 0 or 12% brkts.

If your total taxable income, including LTCG is within the 15% tax bracket ($75,900 or less of taxable income for MFJ in 2017) then the LTCG tax rate is 0%.

If you have cash, buy an inverse ETF to derisk your equity % above your target?

If your total taxable income, including LTCG is within the 15% tax bracket ($75,900 or less of taxable income for MFJ in 2017) then the LTCG tax rate is 0%.

Not a big believer in this:
Check the hit inverse ETF's took this year. Better off to take the tax hit.

I’m in the same boat. However, my portfolio is 100% equity and have no desire to rebalance my AA. Have pretty well stopped rebalancing between names as well.

You can stop reinvesting dividends. You pay taxes in the dividend, whether you reinvest or not.

Either take the dividend and invest it in bonds (or ??), or move them to a different style of investment.

Not a big believer in this:
Check the hit inverse ETF's took this year. Better off to take the tax hit.

I agree it would be better to sell and take the tax hit, but the OP seems very reluctant to do that.... the inverse ETF would be better than nothing... if stock take a hit presumably the inverse ETF would gain and offset the hit.. derisking his portfolio without selling.

I presume that inverse ETFs took a hit this year because stocks did well.... just as they are designed to do.

I agree it would be better to sell and take the tax hit, but the OP seems very reluctant to do that.... the inverse ETF would be better than nothing... if stock take a hit presumably the inverse ETF would gain and offset the hit.. derisking his portfolio without selling.

I presume that inverse ETFs took a hit this year because stocks did well.... just as they are designed to do.

Your presumption is correct!!! It is just hard for me to be a pessimist:dance:

And any sales above that are at only 15% marginal rate for quite a while, depending upon your filing status.

So sell away.......and buy CD's or Bonds, before your 0% space gets taken up with SS and RMD's.

If you're also looking to make charitable donations, giving highly appreciated stock would be the way to go. You can donate it directly or to a Donor Advised Fund, get a deduction for the market value (if you itemize) and also avoid the cap gains.

How far out of balance are you?

What is your desired asset allocation? What is your current (unbalanced) asset allocation?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom