Refrigerator upgrade

Have you done any shopping for the (potential) new fridge yet? And the "features" you might be interested in?

I was considering replacing my current fridge, and look around quite a bit. French doors? Bleh. Door w/in a door. Just plain stupid. But mostly I wanted the freezer section to be on TOP. I don't want to have to bend down when I want my nighttime ice cream, but more importantly, everything gets stacked on top of each other. You'd always be playing tetris to get what you want.

But what I found is that the manufacturer's don't make hardly any models with freezer on top any more. All I found was a plain, vanilla, old-style refrigerator -- freezer on top, standard door (just one, thank you), and smaller than most other models. So I stayed with my current one.

No, I've been distracted by other things lately. The main "feature" I was hoping for is reduced operating costs. Seems like that isn't really a feature available in the marketplace these days.

My fridge is a Whirlpool, apparently made in summer 2004. Maybe if I don't get distracted again I'll do the Kill-A-Watt thing and see what it measures out to be. I tried googling the model number and couldn't find any info.

Have you done any shopping for the (potential) new fridge yet? And the "features" you might be interested in?

I was considering replacing my current fridge, and look around quite a bit. French doors? Bleh. Door w/in a door. Just plain stupid. But mostly I wanted the freezer section to be on TOP. I don't want to have to bend down when I want my nighttime ice cream, but more importantly, everything gets stacked on top of each other. You'd always be playing tetris to get what you want.

But what I found is that the manufacturer's don't make hardly any models with freezer on top any more. All I found was a plain, vanilla, old-style refrigerator -- freezer on top, standard door (just one, thank you), and smaller than most other models. So I stayed with my current one.

I had a similar experience several years ago when shopping for a fridge for my elderly mother. Her criteria? Freezer on top, she doesn't want to bend down for HER nighttime ice cream and freezer needs to have a light in it.

Well, a top freezer model is fairly rare but a top freezer model with a light in it is extremely rare. I finally found a Whirlpool that fit her needs.

I don't mind shuffling items around in bottom freezer models, but I can't stand it when there are half full plastic bags of veggies and other stuff in the bottom compartment of the freezer and then you slide the top basket compartment forward and backward and the bags rub on the basket creating a noise that is akin to fingernails on chalkboard to my ears. Sort of a baseball card in the bike spokes sound but much higher in pitch. I find myself constantly tamping down these bags of veggies so they don't contact the sliding basket drawer.

One thing I like about my Whirlpool Gold french door model refrigerator is that it has a filtered cold water dispenser on the inside of the left refrigerator door. Yes, you have to open the door and push and hold a button with your thumb, but not having the bulky water dispenser built into the door frees up a lot of interior space inside the door. This method of water dispensing is probably is a lot more reliable than through-the-door methods.

Our KitchenAid (made by Whirlpool) refrigerator also has the cold water dispenser inside.

DW choose this model because it looked good to her, but I've grown to like the inside dispenser. It's easier to refill large water reservoirs/jugs - like the Keurig water reservoir since you don't have to try to wedge it into the recessed on the outside of the door. And it does (as mentioned above) take up less space.

I don’t understand the angst over finding freezer on top models. I see many many basic models configured this way. We bought one at Home Depot a couple yrs ago. I wasn’t expecting it, but it has a great led light in the freezer. It’s only when you go upscale that the top freezer option goes away.

I read that having the water and ice inside the refrigerator don’t break down as often as the ones in the door. I love the freezer on the bottom because I don’t use it as much as the rest of the refrigerator.

Check out refrigerators that are only refrigerators. We have two of those, & one huge freezer - works like a charm.

New ones don’t last as long!

Your payback calculations may not account for lower expected lifetime of a new refrigerator! I purchased a new Whirlpool refrig 2.5 years ago, and it died out of warranty. Went 3 months this summer without a freezer (no ice for cock-a-tails!), then replaced it last weekend with a GE version. Some models have 10 year compressor warranty, but I don’t know if that includes all parts of the sealed system. My whirlpool died because a tube cracked (likely due to simple, normal vibration); this led in turn to compressor failure. Alas, my old one was > 20 years old (came with house), and we replaced simply because we thought it was too noisy.

The new appliances are plasticky, cheaply built, and overpriced. I have zero confidence they will make it for 15 years.

My advice? If your current refrigerator is working and you are happy with it, don't replace it to save $10 to $15 a year in electricity.

Yes.

The home we purchased has a two door fridge, ice maker and cold water dispenser in the door.

If we replace it we will would not bother with the icemaker/cold water dispenser. Previous owner spent money on the icemaker. We turn it off...it makes a helluva noise sometimes. Both features are more trouble than they are worth to us. It is a GE Professional. Frankly, I do not see anything premium about it other than, perhaps, the price.

Our GE Profile purchased in 2008 hasn't had a lot of problems, but the one issue it did have happened loudly and in the middle of the night. The computer that controls the ice/ water/ other electronic functions started bleeping, blobbing, sounding scales & wouldn't stop until DW detached the unit completely. Fortunately he is handy, so after ordering a replacement (couple hundred bucks or so) he installed it and no problems since.

We'll never buy a fridge with that many bells & whistles again- just more things to break. I hope the thing lasts another 10 years as did the one it replaced (it was at least 20 years old).

Also, I truly hate my french drawer. Who thought that thing up? I call it the black hole. At least 3 times a year I have to bring out everything and reorganize it- usually done after I pull out some meat that is still useable but not within the best flavor window (which in my mind puts it into the going into soup or stick category). I miss my old side by side. I could see what I have and organize things in a manner that would keep the older items in front, so less waste.

I’m kind of with you on the ice maker. They are so convenient and I use a lot of ice during the day. However I can be sound asleep and when it dumps a load of ice in the container I just about jump out of bed

Me too! They can be quite loud.

Replaced a similar-aged Kenmore 21 cu ft top freezer fridge with a Samsung dual evaporator bottom freezer, french door fridge about a year ago. I have a solar-charged backup system for limited power without going out in the dark or a thunderstorm to start a generator, so I track appliance power usage carefully.

The 21 cu ft fridge used 2000 watt hours (2KWH) daily. The 28 cu ft fridge uses 1824 watt hours (1.82KWH) daily for a savings of 9%. Depending on the cost of your electricity, payback could be a generation or two. However, the 28 cu ft is only slightly bigger than the 21 cu ft it replaced and being able to find things easily does have some value ;-)

Note that the power used by a fridge or freezer is affected by the room temperature and they use more power in summer (78F inside) then in winter (68F inside). For me, that's 1824WH in summer and 1416WH in winter.

The Fridge

I seem to remember that the older style freezer on top models were the most efficient but all new units come with energy useage estimates which should help

As for where to get a deal......
Stores like Lowes and HD will have big appliance sales this holiday weekend. I've also gotten my best deals at Lowes on slightly dinged or damaged units. Sometimes scratch or dents are very minamal

To get rid of the old one you can always post it on Craigslist Free site. Someone will be glad to get it
Might also donate to a Habitat store if you have one or an appliance reconditioner who sells used appliances

Good luck!

Just buy a SS Kitchen Aid and be done. We have all new Kitchen Aid appliances in our home and condo.

Never heard of anyone concerned about kilowatt savings rates vs all the features refrigerators now have. It’s a refrigerator, it’s not going to have an electricity savings that is worth even thinking about.

Go to Home Depot, Lowe’s, Best Buy.

Older refrigerator were built like tanks and last almost forever. Our ugly white garage ‘beer’ fridge was purchased in 1995. It’s not in style and has a few dents but runs like a champ...hope I didn’t just hex it! We’ve had numerous other refrigerators and they last 5-7 yrs before something major happens. Is this a reflection of our throwaway society...? Maybe

Older refrigerator were built like tanks and last almost forever. Our ugly white garage ‘beer’ fridge was purchased in 1995. It’s not in style and has a few dents but runs like a champ...hope I didn’t just hex it! We’ve had numerous other refrigerators and they last 5-7 yrs before something major happens. Is this a reflection of our throwaway society...? Maybe

Ha! Same here. I have a no name brand small fridge in our garage since 2002. It’s sitting in our garage all through cold freezing winters and hot humid summers and runs like the day I bought it for $200.

just a note in passing, our refrig is 15 yrs old, started popping and stopping, then re-popping and re-starting. we started to look for a new frig. Went to library and took copies of Consumer Reports 2019 Buyers Guide. what a great idea and what a waste of time as all of the refrigerators that were reviewed were NOT at Home Depot or Lowe's, so that idea was a waste of time.

In 1999, DW and I bought our first rental; we took the used fridge, bought in 1995, and put in rental.

We just replaced that fridge in the rental, because DW didn't want to clean it, and didn't want to be bothered if it died soon.

We are on our 3rd fridge since we replaced the 1995 fridge in our home.

DMIL's 1947 International Harvester fridge is still running in garage/shop/winery. I used it for chilling grapes, cold soaking, and cold stabilization of wines. I am storing 3 trimmed filets in there now for this weekend's annual clan meeting for DM's BD party.

+1 on the suckage that is Samsung ice-makers! Like everything else about their fridge but that is a dealbreaker for any future purchases. Our repair guy said it's a known design flaw but Samsung refuses to fix it.

I think the new multi-drawer Samsung refrigerator/freezers have been modified - however, Samsung has basically written off most of those of us who bought their products - rather than extending the warranty - and, they are NOTORIOUSLY difficult to reach, connect through their repair system - and, get a repair made.

My ice maker box has gaps around it, has poorly positioned water entry hoses, poorly designed motor/fan location, etc ...

We've had our Samsung repaired a half dozen times over 4 3/4 years of our 5 year Geek Squad service plan. When the buyer of our home asked if the refrigerator could be included, we agreed.

By contrast, we were a little less enthusiastic about including the Samsung Washer and Dryer, for which we just had our first repair since they were purchased (4 3/4 years ago, as well).

Interesting spreadsheet at:
https://www.energystar.gov/sites/default/files/asset/document/appliance_calculator.xlsx
I downloaded, and it appears safe to use.

Your electric cost seems very low, at least to me. So, your payback period is longer. I will take a guess that your payback period will be 10 years. What you'll get goes beyond savings, in that you'll likely have a quieter fridge, more features you want, and will save a bit on energy costs.

If you already have an energy star model, and it works fine, it stills pays you to comparison shop, in case the old one stops working.

I would comparison shop at best buy, home depot, lowes. Do it online to save aggravation. But go to the store and find exact model.

BTW, if you buy at the store, and the appliance staff is good, they'll follow up on the order, and hopefully make things go faster.

I too thought their electrical costs were very low too. Perhaps that was just the generation cost and not the distribution cost? My distribution costs are generally higher than my actual energy costs and not given as per KWH on the bill as many are fixed costs. (Terrible system that lets the local provider claim LOW rates!

Anyway the newer fridge/freezers use different refrigerant Gas so make sure who ever takes the old fridge that they drain and recycle the refrigerant! Also new efficient units put the freezer below in a drawer so when you open it the cold air doesn’t all fall out. Much more efficient, much less frost created so keeping frost free is easier and less condensation of frozen foods. But I hate trying to find stuff if the freezer is full’

Did a complete kitchen remodel in 2012. Replaced the existing run of the mill 18 year old Frigadaire appliances with new Whirlpool Gold appliances. Refrigerator, range, dishwasher, microwave. Subsequently the only thing that has NOT been repaired is the over-the-range microwave. All repairs were in the 2-3 years after purchase period. The "warranties" on this new stuff is only one year.

Received a letter informing me I am a member of a class action suit against Whirlpool for a defective design in their defroster drain tube. Yep, I can attest to the fact that the drain tube would plug up about every 6 months causing the need to manually defrost the freezer.

Eventually Whirlpool redesigned the drain tube. I installed the upgraded tube and haven't had the problem with ice dams in the freezer anymore.

Older refrigerator were built like tanks and last almost forever.

I moved in 1990 or so and the people who previously lived there left an old fridge. It had no freezer so it was a pain to run to the basement freezer for ice. When I moved in 1997 I gave that fridge to my parents and it's their second fridge in the basement...30+ years and it still works.

received a letter informing me i am a member of a class action suit against whirlpool for a defective design in their defroster drain tube. Yep, i can attest to the fact that the drain tube would plug up about every 6 months causing the need to manually defrost the freezer.

Eventually whirlpool redesigned the drain tube. I installed the upgraded tube and haven't had the problem with ice dams in the freezer anymore.

Whirlpool-Freeze-Up.jpg

Whirlpool-Drain-Tubes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom