Refrigerator Warranty

My tenant called and said her refrigerator was making a strange noise, and the appliance repairman came out and told her the compressor was shot and she should buy a new refrigerator because hers was over 30 years old. And it just so happened that the appliance store was having a great sale the next three days, and if she bought one from them, they would rip up the bill for the service call.

Her question was, that since when she moved in, and wanted to replace the refrigerator that came with the house with her own, since hers was now shot, would I buy her one? I stopped by, took a look and could tell immediately by the sound, the evaporator fan motor was shot. Although I didn't have to, I took a picture of the model number, ordered a new evaporator fan motor for $14 and installed it which took all of 15 minutes. She just couldn't believe the "reputable" appliance dealer service guy was so dishonest and/or incompetent.

When she moved out a couple of years later to go into a home, she left her refrigerator in the house since I had repaired it. It was harvest gold.

Since I planned on updating the look of the house, I put the harvest gold refrigerator on craigslist for an insanely high price as a joke, describing it as "vintage" and collectible. I kind of forgot about the ad until three weeks later when a guy called from New York City from a production company and asked if I'd hold it for him till he could send down a truck for it and drive the four hours to pick it up. He told me he was looking everywhere for a harvest gold refrigerator in excellent condition for a show they were doing and couldn't find one anywhere. He even offered to pay extra if I'd hold it for him which I gladly agreed to.

Now the harvest gold Whirlpool refrigerator is immortalized on the silver screen and I had essentially saved it from being scrapped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom