reregister paper savings bonds

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a few inherited series EE savings bonds in paper form. The amount is small enough that when reregistering I prefer to keep them in paper form rather than go electronic. I've not been able to find on the Treasury site whether I can indeed reregister into paper bonds. Anyone know?

:mad:

I figured that having my IBnds in paper form was safe... now I wonder.

About 20 years ago, the few stocks I owned were in paper form. When I cashed some others, the financial guy suggested I convert the remaining stocks to electronic format, but I refused, thinking a "bird in the hand". Recently I asked a local adviser how I could cash them in and he told me it would cost about $200 to have them researched and converted.

Gerrin' tooo old for this shtuff.

:mad:

I figured that having my IBnds in paper form was safe... now I wonder.

About 20 years ago, the few stocks I owned were in paper form. When I cashed some others, the financial guy suggested I convert the remaining stocks to electronic format, but I refused, thinking a "bird in the hand". Recently I asked a local adviser how I could cash them in and he told me it would cost about $200 to have them researched and converted.

Gerrin' tooo old for this shtuff.

got a brokerage acct? 3 Ways to Sell Stock Certificates - wikiHow

I had some paper stock certificates. Took them to my fidelity rep and he transferred them into my account. No cost, no problem.

I had some paper stock certificates. Took them to my fidelity rep and he transferred them into my account. No cost, no problem.

Same here. Had a single certificate from a company I worked for a long time ago. Then lost it. Then sometime later they split and issued a new certificate. Took it to Fidelity and no problem....

Thanks for the suggestions... problem is I have no broker, and no plans to get or need one. For a few thousand dollars of paper stock (2 companies), $200+ to transfer.
Will leave the problem to my estate.

Sell your stock with a broker with whom you do not have an account. You can contact any stock broker and request that they sell your stock certificate for you. However, if you do not already have an account with that broker, they will likely charge you a hefty fee.
In the past, brokerage firms have offered to sell paper stock certificates for free or at low cost in the hopes that customers would then open an account and use their other services. However, most customers did not go on to open accounts with the brokers, so most brokerage firms stopped offering this service.[7]

We grow too soon old, and too late smart.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom