Retire this coming August

averagebum

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi. I have been lurking in this forum for a long time and have posted some comments in the past. Thank you for all the valuable information and the sharing of experiences.

I am 64. My finances are: 1.35 million in taxable account, 2.25 million in IRA, and 80,000 in Roth, all invested in individual stocks. I collect $108,000 dividends from the three accounts, with 38,000 from the taxable account and about 60,000+ from the IRA account. I eliminated dividend reinvestment from the high yield positions. By the end of August, I should accumulate about $50,000 cash in the taxable and IRA accounts for emergency cash. I need $7000 a month after tax to live on: $1500 from pension (which covers the mortgage--owe $110,000 at 4.5%), $3000 from part-time work, $2500 from dividends from taxable or IRA accounts (all after tax). Medical insurance is provided by my employer till the end of the year when I will file for Medicare. Two years from retirement, I will reach FRA. I will collect $3000 a month in SS. I will treat that as a pay raise if I continue with my part-time work. Until 72 (or 75 if the new Secure law passes), I will do annual back-door ROTH from my IRA account for about $40000 to 60000 a year (holding the tax rate at 24%), paying taxes from my taxable account.

FIRE calc gave me 100%. Should I be able to sleep soundly at night based on this plan? I appreciate any feedback. Thank you and happy holidays and new year!

You need $84K after tax to live on, so call it $110K before tax to be safe. You have $3.6M. Using 4% rule of thumb, that pays you $144K/year, and that is completely ignoring SS. Firecalc gives you 100%.

My question is: why are you waiting? It's awesome on the other side!

I personally don't pay any attention to dividends in my accounts, but if that assists you in your plan, by all means continue to do so. Sounds like you have a good plan. Have to chime in with the "why wait" crowd?:cool:

Solid plan & ample investments. Congrats!

Only problem I see is the mention of possibly continuing part time work.

Looks like you have the finances, now retire and go have the FUN!

Thank you for the assurances everyone! Much appreciated.
The part-time work is teaching, all online. I enjoy it and it helps to keep me sharp. I can do it for as long as my brain and patience will allow it. My plan is to travel for 2 months (Europe mostly but all over) and return to the US for 1 month to recharge and rest and look after the house. This will slow down after a few years where I may travel for 1 month and rest for 2, until decrepit old age makes me locally bound--a scary thought.
Now that I have decided on quitting at the end of August, I am impatient for the new life to begin--like right now! The next 4 months will be a grind. We don't work in the summers.

Now that I have decided on quitting at the end of August, I am impatient for the new life to begin--like right now! The next 4 months will be a grind. We don't work in the summers.
Don't wait...do it now!

The downside is 1/2 year more of freedom to do whatever you want... which could be nothing at all.

From the prior posts, I suspect OP is in Academia and feels obligated to finish out the current year, which I think is quite appropriate.

To OP: Good luck, you are all set.

Back
Top Bottom