Retired (secretly) and tired of assumptions

Per usual, I seem to be an outlier. The only comment I ever got from telling people I retired at 52 was "Congratulations!".

I did have a Catholic priest friend who, when on well deserved vacations, didn't want people to know he was a priest as it tended to quash more relaxed interactions. His answer to "What line of work are you in?" was "Long term investments" which wasn't a lie.
Funny aside: On vacation one time, dressed in street clothes he was at a high end hotel. A woman propositioned him an elevator. He told her " Sorry, I have "someone upstairs" waiting for me ".

Last edited:
My dad was gone by the time I ER'd and he would have been proud of me - but he would be totally unable to understand such a move. I've shared before that he was looking for a j*b until he went into a nursing home. YMMV

I'm still in the honeymoon stage (Yr 1), but find I am not a big fan of the word "retired". Even at 58, I find there are very few in their 50's who are "retired". I generally tell people I still "piddle around" in my industry as opposed to "retired". Funny, I joined a golf club recently and play typically during the week and noticed it appears I am generally the youngest guy by 10-15+ years! Retiring below 65 FI is much rarer than one would think.

I'm still in the honeymoon stage (Yr 1), but find I am not a big fan of the word "retired". Even at 58, I find there are very few in their 50's who are "retired". I generally tell people I still "piddle around" in my industry as opposed to "retired". Funny, I joined a golf club recently and play typically during the week and noticed it appears I am generally the youngest guy by 10-15+ years! Retiring below 65 FI is much rarer than one would think.

I bet the older guys expect you to adjust your handicap when you play a round with them.:facepalm:

Someone on MMM forum did a dating site for FIRE'd people.
firedating.me
Fire Dating
The first ever dating website for people into Financial Independence. Free & privacy friendly. Find your mustachian! Stats (as of 47 minutes ago) Key metrics ... By FIRE type: "lean": 718 ; regular: 3310 "fat": 747

I think that was a great idea trying to get like minds about money to connect. So, what qualifications are required to be "FIRE" in the "FAT" category?

I think that was a great idea trying to get like minds about money to connect. So, what qualifications are required to be "FIRE" in the "FAT" category?

Good question and no, I'm not looking for a "fat" partner at this point:LOL: When we discussed "fat" fire in the past, I came to the conclusion "it's someone with way more money than I have!" :facepalm:

Good question and no, I'm not looking for a "fat" partner at this point:LOL: When we discussed "fat" fire in the past, I came to the conclusion "it's someone with way more money than I have!" :facepalm:

LOL! Yeah, not me either no matter how "FAT" is viewed or meaning of the word/abv.

So, anyone else of what qualifies for a "FAT" "FIRE"?

For the first couple years I would say, I'm not retired. I just don't go to work anymore.

For the first couple years I would say, I'm not retired. I just don't go to work anymore.

How about: I've got heart trouble. I don't have the heart to get up every morning and go to w*rk.

LOL! Yeah, not me either no matter how "FAT" is viewed or meaning of the word/abv.

Yes, wife keeps us Fat. Trying to lean a bit!

I don’t know what the official cutoff is between FIRE and fat FIRE but I will say this: if you can fat FIRE you probably worked too long.

Anyone that was able RE is "FAT"/"rich" statistically.

I guess my definition of FAT FIRE is that one has enough to cover all reasonably expected expenses for the rest of their life AND a substantial amount more to spend or pass along. Instead of watching the budget to make sure you don't blow it, you watch it looking for opportunities to spend.

I guess my definition of FAT FIRE is that one has enough to cover all reasonably expected expenses for the rest of their life AND a substantial amount more to spend or pass along. Instead of watching the budget to make sure you don't blow it, you watch it looking for opportunities to spend.

Sounds about right.

I like that. Well defined and measurable to an extent.

I guess I'm not there - primarily because I can see potential situations I might not survive financially - probably the biggest would be both of us in Long Term Care. And, of course, I don't think I would ever overcome my natural frugality enough to be on the lookout for opportunities to spend.

So, no Fat Fire here. YMMV

I don’t know what the official cutoff is between FIRE and fat FIRE but I will say this: if you can fat FIRE you probably worked too long.

Maybe...

I suppose I qualify, but part of my motivation to build up perhaps a larger stash than some was to support a desired spend. Sure, I could have retired much earlier, but not supporting the "lifestyle" I wanted. I don't think there is an official definition of FAT FIRE, but I think most assume an annual spend of $200K - $250K+. In my case, there is no "need" to spend that much, but with 4 kids and almost 4 G-Kids we find plenty of ways to spend $$ (discretionary), including gifting, extra travel, entertainment, and some nice toys from time to time.

True!!

Maybe...

I suppose I qualify, but part of my motivation to build up perhaps a larger stash than some was to support a desired spend. Sure, I could have retired much earlier, but not supporting the "lifestyle" I wanted. I don't think there is an official definition of FAT FIRE, but I think most assume an annual spend of $200K - $250K+. In my case, there is no "need" to spend that much, but with 4 kids and almost 4 G-Kids we find plenty of ways to spend $$ (discretionary), including gifting, extra travel, entertainment, and some nice toys from time to time.

Heh, heh, I think our kids are a little jealous when we spend on the GKs. I bet they're thinking "You never bought that for ME!"

I have a response for them if they ever put it into words. Namely: "You'll have GKs some day - then you'll understand."

Heh, heh, I think our kids are a little jealous when we spend on the GKs. I bet they're thinking "You never bought that for ME!"

I have a response for them if they ever put it into words. Namely: "You'll have GKs some day - then you'll understand."

Yep. GKs is whole new spend category I forgot to include, which can be a big one. 529s, creating a "kid zone" room filled with 1000 toys in the basement, basically recreating the needed GK's resources at our house (i.e. cribs, car seats), and of course don't forget all those "cute" baby clothes my DW says she must get! :facepalm:

Yep. GKs is whole new spend category I forgot to include, which can be a big one. 529s, creating a "kid zone" room filled with 1000 toys in the basement, basically recreating the needed GK's resources at our house (i.e. cribs, car seats), and of course don't forget all those "cute" baby clothes my DW says she must get! :facepalm:

A few years back, our eldest GK talked about tractors all the time. Not sure how he got into that, but we'd be driving along and he'd say "That's a John Deere. You can tell by the color!"

As fortune would have it, we have a store in our town (where the homestead is located - in the heart of farm country) which has toy tractors - small ones to play with inside and big ones that kids can peddle. We took GK (and his parents) to the store and watched the expression on GK's face. He was in heaven. The store has all the major brands of tractor represented - going back many years. Deere, M-F, Ford, Case-IH, Mahindra, etc.

We took the parents because they would have to find a way to fit whatever we bought into their van for the 1000 mile trip home.

We found one that had adjustable seats so that a 5 year old could still be riding it probably until puberty. It had an available farm wagon and even had the miniature (toy) tractor available. SO, over $400 later, we got help from the store loading the tractor and trailer into the kids' van. It just fit. GK was utterly ecstatic. We learned that he (and now his brothers) ride the tractor all the time - even these several years later.

And, now you know what grand kids are for - to SPOIL and BTD on. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom