Retiree Housing Complex, question

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
My brother in law passed away suddenly in 2021. My sister has her house up for sale and is now in a snowbird rental not far from me, here in FLA.

She has decided to stay in FLA. She was recently approved for a brand new senior housing complex under construction and due to be complete in a few months.

To qualify for this complex (62 plus) she has to have a minimum income of $24K per year, but not more than $36K per year - so she's dealing within a tight gap of $12k per year between min and max.

They are scheduling her for a financial review in April. She will have to disclose assets and income. They told her they do not consider the balance of her 401K to be income, rather it's an asset.

She is 63 and has not yet started taking Social Security. She was waiting to see whether she needs additional income down the road if her health does not hold out.

If she starts taking Soc Sec, she will be over the maximum and they told her that at that point, her options would be to move out or start paying a market based rent.

She currently falls within the $12K/year window if she doesn't do anything differently than she is now - earning a pension and taking occasional withdrawals from her 401K (again, they said the 401K account balance is not income unless it changes to periodic payments).

I'm thinking this could be a hassle if things don't like up in the future - i.e.
(1) something happens and she falls beneath $24K or goes above $36K
(2) She needs to start Social Security
(3) She has to start paying a market based rent which could force her to leave if she is squeezed too much
(4) The older one is, the harder it is to keep moving.

My question is whether anyone here has or knows someone who has lived in one of these income based senior complexes, and how it all worked out for them?

I have known people in them and some are strict and review income yearly and others not so much. Maybe your sister should find out what full market rate would be for when she collects SS and if she wants to pay that much.

Good point.
Is she really going to give up getting SS to keep her rent low

In a sense yes - but also she was thinking in this scenario she would not need it now anyway....and she is not giving it up entirely, she would be waiting until FRA, if possible in order to fund possibly and likely higher health related expenses.

I received SS on my late wife's account from when I retired at 63 until I started my own SS at 70. I would think twice about giving up that money in order to live in a place that in the long run may be beyond her means. Just because the real estate people say she can do it does not make it a good life choice. My suggestion would be to run all the numbers out past 70 before a decision is made.

Interestingly I didn't expect this to turn into a discussion of when to take Social Security...lol - more the issue of whether anyone has been in a living situation where in order to keep their residence and not have to move out of it, they had to stay within a narrow income band - and how that worked out for them.

Wouldn't she be eligible for survivor SS benefits now? If so, she may never be eligible for the discount.

They were not married long enough.

Interestingly I didn't expect this to turn into a discussion of when to take Social Security...lol - more the issue of whether anyone has been in a living situation where in order to keep their residence and not have to move out of it, they had to stay within a narrow income band - and how that worked out for them.

I think the reason is that eventually she will have to take SS; is she planning on this only being a short term thing? If so, then this may not matter. But if she wants it to be long-term, then at FRA, or age 70 or whenever, she's going to be faced with this, and then have to move or pay it then.

Ah ok I see...she was thinking of moving to this complex to rent for a couple years - say 2 -3 years, while looking for a specific home/location to make a home purchase.

She wants to take her time in deciding on where to purchase.

She is just concerned about the disruption of having to move out sooner due to fluctuations in dividend or interest income or other anything else she may be overlooking at this moment.

Ah ok I see...she was thinking of moving to this complex to rent for a couple years - say 2 -3 years, while looking for a specific home/location to make a home purchase.

She wants to take her time in deciding on where to purchase.

She is just concerned about the disruption of having to move out sooner due to fluctuations in dividend or interest income or other anything else she may be overlooking at this moment.

Would she be able to offset any income with charitable giving? Or do they look at AGI?

Wouldn't she be eligible for survivor SS benefits now? If so, she may never be eligible for the discount.

They were not married long enough.

Married less then 9 months?

She won't net anything from selling her home? That would be an asset

I don't want to sound like I'm being mean, but based on what you are saying your sister does not sound like she is the low income person this housing is intended for. Maybe she should just continue to rent until she decides where she wants to buy.

I don't want to sound like I'm being mean, but based on what you are saying your sister does not sound like she is the low income person this housing is intended for. Maybe she should just continue to rent until she decides where she wants to buy.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. We all try to watch the various trigger points in our income (like Medicare limits and similar) and manage accordingly. But in this situation, the program she will be eligible for is designed for folks of a specific income level. Likely, the subsidy is not infinite nor is there enough to give everyone an opportunity to use the subsidy. I think the term is what is called "zero sum" subsidy. If she can qualify by waiting to take SS, that may mean that someone else (who may already be collecting SS) has to wait or look elsewhere. Not gonna make a judgment here, just wondering out loud so YMMV.

I can see that perspective as well. As a matter of fact, when she first presented the situation to me, the first thing that came to mind were the some of the stories I've read of people wildly manipulating their income in order to qualify for ACA subsidies.

If she was married more than 9 months, she is eligible for SS survivor benefit, and less than 9 months if the death was certain types.

This makes the cheap rent less of a deal as she seems to be giving up $$ to get cheap rent.

Went through this recently with a cousin. The rules don’t make much sense. I’d be worried about having to be re-qualified on a regular basis. It sounds like she will be over the limit once she starts SS. In my cousins case, they said the rules were driven by requirements of the rent subsidy (Federal Low Income Housing Credit). They would not count savings unless you had RMDs. My cousins income was too low but they ultimately permitted her to have a co-signer. Getting friendly with the admin staff really helped.

Would she be able to offset any income with charitable giving? Or do they look at AGI?

That’s what I’m wondering. Are there any deductions to her income before determining the amount of income that counts?
Many programs do have deductions. Is this a federal subsidized housing program or state funded?

If she was married more than 9 months, she is eligible for SS survivor benefit, and less than 9 months if the death was certain types.

This makes the cheap rent less of a deal as she seems to be giving up $$ to get cheap rent.

Can't she still delay receiving the above until 70 to get the max benefit?

Seem like that option would permit her 6 years of subsidized rent.

I don't see a problem with your sister living in the low income housing if that is where she wants to be. She meets the threshold at her income, for now.

The issue will be what is the market based rent and can she live comfortably staying there and paying that with her higher income from SS or will she have to move at an older age?

Sounds like she will know more in April when she meets for the income assessment. Perhaps you can go with her and bring some questions.

Can't she still delay receiving the above until 70 to get the max benefit?

Seem like that option would permit her 6 years of subsidized rent.

That is not how a survivor benefit works....

Back
Top Bottom