Rev. Al and Paris H. - The Rev. is right on this one.

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have to say the Rev. Al is right on this one. If a 26 yo poor minority was having a tough time (in protective cells no less) in jail I don't think they would be sent home with an ankle bracelet. Was Paris coached how to act stressed so that she could get out? I think it is possible. We all know that the law isn't fair when it comes to rich vs poor. But it is items like this that rubs it in the faces of the poor.

Paris Hilton released from LA jail, sentenced to home confinement
Paris Hilton released from LA jail, sentenced to home confinement

By ROBERT JABLON

LOS ANGELES - Paris Hilton was released from a Los Angeles County jail early Thursday because of an unspecified medical problem and will fulfill the remainder of her sentence for violating probation in home confinement, a sheriff's spokesman said.

The 26-year-old hotel heiress was sent home shortly after 2 a.m. wearing an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet, sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

Hilton was sentenced to 45 days for violating her probation in a reckless driving case, but had been expected to serve 23 days in jail because of state rules allowing shorter sentences for good behavior.

The socialite ended up spending three full days at the all-women's facility in Lynwood, but because she checked in late Sunday and left early Thursday, authorities credited her with five days of time served.

She returned to her 2,700-square foot home in the Hollywood Hills, where authorities say she'll be confined for 40 days. The four-bedroom, Spanish-style home, built in 1926, sits on a 6,380-square foot lot above the Sunset Strip. Presumably, Hilton will have the run of the grounds as long as she doesn't step outside the gates.

"I can't specifically talk about the medical situation other than to say that yes it played a part in this," Whitmore said.

Whitmore refused to answer questions from reporters when asked if the condition was physical or psychological. He did say it was not a staph infection. The jail provided her with a pamphlet on the skin infection when she checked in.

The conditions of Hilton's home confinement were not immediately disclosed. Whitmore referred all questions to the L.A. County Probation Department. Messages left for the person handling media calls were not immediately returned.

The action was immediately denounced by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who said it had "all of the appearances of economic and racial favoritism."

Although the civil rights advocate said he has "nothing but empathy for Ms. Hilton," he doubted similar treatment would be offered to minorities or poor people.

"There are any number of cases of people who handled being incarcerated badly and even have health conditions that are not released," Sharpton said.

Hilton had surrendered to authorities with little fanfare late Sunday after a surprise appearance at the MTV Movie Awards, where she worked the red carpet in a strapless designer gown.

"I am trying to be strong right now," she told reporters at the time. "I'm ready to face my sentence. Even though this is a really hard time, I have my family, my friends and my fans to support me, and that's really helpful."

Hilton was housed in the "special needs" unit of the 13-year-old jail, separate from most of its 2,200 inmates. The unit contains 12 two-person cells reserved for police officers, public officials, celebrities and other high-profile inmates. She didn't have a cellmate.

Hilton's lawyer, Richard A. Hutton, said Monday after his client's first night in jail that she was doing well under the circumstances.

"She's using this time to reflect on her life, to see what she can do to make the world better and hopefully, in my opinion, to change the attitudes that exist about her among many people," Hutton said after visiting Hilton.

Hutton did not immediately return calls seeking comment Thursday. Nor did Hilton's publicist, Elliot Mintz.

When she was sentenced May 4, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled she would not be allowed any work release, furloughs or use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail.

Whitmore said Thursday Sauer "was consulted and he was advised."

Officers arrested Hilton in Hollywood on Sept. 7. In January, she pleaded no contest to the reckless-driving charge and was sentenced to 36 months of probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

She was pulled over by California Highway Patrol on Jan. 15. Officers informed Hilton she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging she was not to drive. She then was pulled over by sheriff's deputies on Feb. 27, at which time she was charged with violating probation.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

The action was immediately denounced by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who said it had "all of the appearances of economic and racial favoritism."

This really is a screwed up judicial system here in america ya got money you win.

Sorry the little Hilton gal should still be in jail. What god does it do,? Heck if your daughter did what Paris did she would be in jail. Nuff said.

just like that other woman who died in the bahamas whose name i've already forgotten, i have no idea why this person keeps popping up on my tv set nor why anyone would care.

Paris Hilton going to jail was one of the few pieces of good news in this world. Maybe I'm bad, but I got so much pleasure out of it.

Leno's joke the other day was "Well, Paris Hilton has been in jail for 12 hours -- and that's a record for celebrity jail time in Los Angeles!"

Of course we don't know what the "medical condition" that "played a part" in her release was.

She's using this time to reflect on her life, to see what she can do to make the world better

Let's see what could she do? Maybe stay in jail!

If a 26 yo poor minority was having a tough time

I think that the operative word is "poor." If a daughter of a wealthy Hispanic, Asian, Black or Native American was in the LA jail, I suspect that the same injustice would prevail.

I wonder how many current occupants of that same jail are going to ask for a transfer to the Hilton place for the balance of their confinement?:cool:

Rumor has it that she was near a "nervous breakdown," constantly crying and refusing to eat very much of the jail food. Poor baby...

I am no fan of Paris Hilton or any of the other paparazzi targets but I disagree with Al Sharpton. Paris Hilton wouldn't have been sentenced to jail at all if she were anyone else. It is common practice in L.A. (and other places) to put non violent offenders on house arrest with electronic monitoring. The judge in this case decided to "make an example" of Paris Hilton and get his own 15 minutes of fame. Personally, I don't think we need judges making examples of anyone! Just give equal treatment under the law to everyone regardless of how famous they are or the color of their skin. ^-^

My guess is that she's going to spin this to make it look like she was willing to stay and suffer, but that her psychiatrist insisted that she be "reassigned".

She went through all the trouble of buying a bible and making sure she was photographed with it. She practiced looking contrite and humble and stalwart, ready to go to jail and serve her sentence just like real people. But Paris is all about what other people think of her. Without people around her to feed her ego, take her picture and put her in headlines, she's just a human being and that's just too ordinary.

I was so hoping that her 23 days would be a "media free" break for the rest of the world. But no, she's still making headlines.

This may have even been preplanned with her psychiatrist and her parents.

This really is a screwed up judicial system here in america ya got money you win.

Sorry the little Hilton gal should still be in jail. What god does it do,? Heck if your daughter did what Paris did she would be in jail. Nuff said.

WOW! we actually agree on something.

img_523900_0_7774603b4e3696942c403be4b9099a32.jpg

Well she has now gone down for the full 45 days. Perhaps the American Justice system just woke up [sarcasm emoticon]

sorry to correct you, but no, if it were my child or any other "non famous" person they wouldn't be in jail at all. People don't normally go to jail for traffic violations. They get small fines, maybe perform a few hours of community service, and rarely electronic monitoring. What I find unusual and troubling is the behavior of the judge.

sorry to correct you, but no, if it were my child or any other "non famous" person they wouldn't be in jail at all. People don't normally go to jail for traffic violations. They get small fines, maybe perform a few hours of community service, and rarely electronic monitoring. What I find unusual and troubling is the behavior of the judge.
I try really hard not to pay any attention to the Paris Hiltons of the world but I failed in this case. I don't know the details but I'm under the impression that she broke the rules of a probation granted to her for driving under the influence and reckless driving - not once but twice, she was caught driving without a license.

I honestly believe that what she did was more serious, and more dangerous to others, than something that could be called a simple "traffic violation." I don't think she deserves any more chances. She's already blown them twice and she needs to be made aware of the seriousness of her violations before she kills herself or, more importantly, kills an innocent person she crashes into.

Rumor has it that she was near a "nervous breakdown," constantly crying and refusing to eat very much of the jail food. Poor baby...

Her entire life was easy and almost a fantasy living cacooned by opulence. A little hardship in life makes you a more resilient person. It's one of the reason why I am rearing my children to understand the value of hard work and hardship.

Rev. Al is neither right or wrong. He'll say anything. He just needs a platform, podium, soapbox, or stump. If the cameras are rolling Al will be elbowing his way towards the lights.

Well, it certainly is fashionable for the media, private individuals, and politicians everywhere to express their distaste for Paris Hilton! In fact, otherwise civilized people can be heard to make crude remarks, suggesting that being raped and beaten in jail might teach Paris "a lesson." What lesson is that, exactly?

I am not attempting to minimize the seriousness of drinking alcohol and driving or attempting to apologize for Paris Hilton. But ask yourself, what is Paris being jailed for, exactly? She was arrested for DUI after having a blood alcohol level of 0.08 - the legal minimum. She plea bargained this down to alcohol related reckless driving. (I probably engaged in the same activity the other night after driving 0.6 miles home after a positively lovely dinner where my wife and I shared a bottle of wine!) For this crime, she received probation. Her probation is now being revoked, on the grounds that she was caught driving with a suspended license. So, she is going to jail not for alcohol related reckless driving or DUI - she is going to jail for driving on a suspended license!

For reference:
another minor celebrity was convicted of the EXACT same offense a year ago. her name is Michelle Rodriguez - she went to jail for a total of four hours meaning that Paris Hilton will get to experience a penalty 270 times worse than Michelle Rodriguez. That is not equal punishment. That is what has me disgusted.

:)

I am not attempting to minimize the seriousness of drinking alcohol and driving or attempting to apologize for Paris Hilton. But ask yourself, what is Paris being jailed for, exactly? She was arrested for DUI after having a blood alcohol level of 0.08 - the legal minimum. She plea bargained this down to alcohol related reckless driving. For this crime, she received probation. Her probation is now being revoked, on the grounds that she was caught driving with a suspended license. So, she is going to jail not for alcohol related reckless driving or DUI - she is going to jail for driving on a suspended license!
I hear you, and you make an excellent argument on her behalf. But the way that I see it, is that she showed the court a complete disregard for her crime of "alcohol related reckless driving" when she made the decision to drive without benefit of a legitimate driver's license. I think it's the fact that she was, in effect, showing the court her contempt and how lightly she took the original charge that got her jailed.

I have no sympathy for Ms Hilton, she is back in the slammer where she should be. I do think it is only because of her celebrity that she is there. However, she is the one who went out of her way to make every move in her life covered by the media and she is merely reaping what she has sown. I hope she has to serve the entire 45 days as it may make her realise what a shallow meaningless life she lives and maybe she will really think about doing something worthwhile.

I hear you, and you make an excellent argument on her behalf. But the way that I see it, is that she showed the court a complete disregard for her crime of "alcohol related reckless driving" when she made the decision to drive without benefit of a legitimate driver's license. I think it's the fact that she was, in effect, showing the court her contempt and how lightly she took the original charge that got her jailed.
You make a good point. Paris Hilton is her own worst enemy. BUT, I still don't think it is right that she received such a harsh penalty for such a trivial matter. Prison is for dangerous criminals, not traffic offenders - even when they are whiny self promoting dilettantes like Paris Hilton. :)

Lets see...

- Drink and drive, stupid when you're a billionaire heiress and could have a chauffeur. Realizing that you're followed by photographers everywhere and you'll therefore have plenty of attention by the police.
- Get a DUI, have it reduced to a 'wet reckless' which is just a process to get someone to plea out and avoid a trial. Fine is slightly smaller, but everything else is the same. Insurance and DMV treat this as a DUI.
- As every judge in california does, the perp is instructed that driving on their suspended license WILL result in jail time.
- Drive anyway, even though you're still being followed around by paparazzi and can afford a driver or to take a limo.
- Get caught by the police (at least one time where she wasnt just 'let go'). Be asked to sign a piece of paper saying that you're aware that you're driving on a suspended license and that if you're caught doing it again you'll go to jal.
- Get caught driving again, claim your lawyer said it was okay, even though the judge and police have said several times that it isnt okay.
- Go to jail even though your mommy paid a lot of money to try and get you off.
- Simper and whine about your jail sentence, then use more of your money to have a psychiatrist and lawyer get your sentence converted to in home monitoring.
- Public outrage because unless you're wealthy and push all the right buttons, you'd be spending the rest of the time in jail.

In short, problems easily avoided, stupid, flaunting the law, acting like she's above the law and that it doesnt apply to her, and then receiving privileged treatment because she's rich.

No.

What the bunny said.

It's true there may be people who are let off in similar circumstances, but for everyone of those you could probably find two, or ten, that got hit harder. Imagine your avg. blue-collar guy who ties one on a few times and then can't get to work or drive his plumbing truck or whatever --the kind of hapless guys that show up on Cops or those police-chase-video shows. They screw up and then experience a bit of real hardship. As they should.

LA is a whole alien world. I think I mentioned elsewhere my sister's heated defense of some other blonde starlet who hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The defense was "she was making a LEFT TURN.. and EVERYbody knows how HARD it is to make left turns!!" Boo hoo hoo. :bat:

Back
Top Bottom