Reversing and Preventing Alzheimer

Sue

Recycles dryer sheets
Recently two interesting books have been published on clinical programs for reversing and preventing early cognitive disfunction, ie, early Alzheimers. These are important findings because some researchers believe it may be impossible to find a "magic pill" to cure full-blown Alzheimer because such extensive brain neuron death and damage has already occurred in these patients. Instead they believe that prevention is the key, ie, finding approaches that can be used to prevent/stop Alzheimer progression during its earliest stages.

The Alzheimer's Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age is authored by the husband and wife team of Dean and Ayesha Sherzai (who are at the codirectors of the Brain Health and Alzheimer's Prevention Program at Loma Linda University Medical Center). Their program focuses on optimizing five main factors, nutrition, exercise, stress, sleep, and social and intellectual engagement.

The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline is authored by Dale Bredesen MD (who is at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging and UCLA Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research). Bredesen’s program is more complex than the Sherzais. In his scientific research Bredesen found that Alzheimer exists in three different forms and identified 36 metabolic factors (micronutrients, hormone levels, sleep etc) that trigger Alzheimer. His program provides specific approaches for restoring the appropriate levels of these factors, and thus reversing/preventing early cognitive decline.

Both books are interesting reads, especially since almost 50% of the people who live to 85 will be diagnosed with Alzheimer in their life time.

Thanks Sue,
Don't know why butt Alzheimers is the one thing that I will say frightens me to death. I'll look them up.

cognitive disfunction, ie, early Alzheimers.

Not the same things.

In his scientific research Bredesen found that Alzheimer exists in three different forms and identified 36 metabolic factors (micronutrients, hormone levels, sleep etc) that trigger Alzheimer.

He did not show that they trigger Alzheimer's. Maybe he noticed an association/co-existence which would prove nothing and any inference that the former causes the latter would be scientifically bogus.

His program provides specific approaches for restoring the appropriate levels of these factors, and thus reversing/preventing

None of wish are proven.

early cognitive decline.

Not that that would necessarily be Alzheimer's

This sounds like more snake oil. They always want to point to diet, sleep, exercise, tobacco, fat, a lack of enough coconut oil in our diets and all sorts of of bizzare one-off reasons for all manner of diseases and unpleasantries but they never ever point to the unknowable number of unknowable effects of living in a world in which we are soaked like a tea bag in a limitless seas of chemicals from before we are born till the day we die. Oh no. Couldn't be that. Must be eggs. Must be not getting more or less than some exact amount of sleep. Or not eating some exact %'age of vegetables. Or whatever.....

More doctors selling books. I think if they really knew they could "Prevent and Reverse" Alzheimers, they'd be front page news and billionaires. I have no doubts they have some credentials and studied Alzheimers. Who knows, maybe what they say is true. But, like weight loss gurus, no-money-down real estate magnates and the others, their real money is made selling the books.

Having said that, I did read an article in AARP that said if I slept on my left side, my brain would cleanse better than laying on my back. So, I slept on my left side. Felt better today.

I think if they really knew they could "Prevent and Reverse" Alzheimers, they'd be front page news and billionaires.

Or found dead under mysterious circumstances....?

How about dementia? Or only Alzheimer's?

Rather than a book, I'd like to see a peer-reviewed article, backed up by legitimate research including multiple double-blind studies, etc.

*I* could write a book.

Back
Top Bottom