RIP Bud Grant

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
95 is a good run.

Incredible individual. Played Football, basketball and baseball at the university of MN winning 9 letters. Would have earned 12 but in the 40's freshman were not allowed to play varsity. Played pro basketball and won a championship with the Lakers. Played and coached in the CFL. Coached in 6 CFL championships winning 4 of them. Most remember him for coaching the MN Vikings to 4 super bowls.

Rip coach Grant

I remember him well. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, my family were big Vikings fans.

I too remember him from his 4 Super Bowl appearances. Unfortunately, they never could pull one out of the hat and lost all 4 of them. But Bud was a great contribution to football and sport in general.

What a superstar he was. He also played a couple of seasons on offence and defence for the Philadelphia Eagles before going to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. Again, played O and D. He intercepted 5 passes in a playoff game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders - a pro-football record that has stood for 70 years. He then coached the Blue Bombers for 10 years before the Vikings finally lured him back to Minnesota. RIP.

He was a Minnesota icon. However, I felt the amount of space the local paper devoted to him was a bit much. And I am a life-long Minnesota resident and Vikings fan.

Rest in Peace Bud Grant.

Very good coach. Took full advantage of perhaps the weakest division in the NFL -- Da Bears, Lions, Packers (when they stunk) and the expansion Buccaneers. Just about guaranteed a Division Title and Home Playoff games in the old outdoor stadium in January.

Then the Vikings ran into some of the powerhouse teams in the AFC. KC Chiefs, the Raiders and the Dolphins of the 1970's.

Still, a legendary career in sports.

College and pro sports need more long-tenured coaches. Builds consistent fan and alumni support.

Problem is finding the sweet spot between adoration and the inevitable decline in wins. Bobby Bowden in my home state is a ready example. Don Shula another, hope Nick Saban avoids that fate.

I'm a life-long Vikings fan & remember all but the 1st Super Bowl against the Chiefs in 1970. Rest In Peace Bud.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom