RIP - Gordon Moore (Intel/Moore's 'law')

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/19511/industry-mourns-the-death-of-gordon-moore

Didn't see this earlier. An important person to our lives, whether many of us realize it or not.

Late last week, Intel Corp. and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation announced the death of semiconductor pioneer Gordon Moore at the age of 94.

Moore coined the theory on semiconductor development, which became the barometer for progress in the electronics industry. Called Moore’s Law, the theory states that the number of transistors on a semiconductor doubles every year.

“SIA mourns the loss of one of the greatest pioneers and innovators in history, Gordon Moore,” said John Neuffer, president and CEO of Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA). “His iconic vision, embodied by Moore’s Law, helped propel chip technology to new heights and inspire countless innovations that have changed the world forever and for the better. His passing marks the end of an era, but his legacy will live for all time.”

-ERD50

A brilliant man. I am impressed with his philanthropy. His foundation has given away more than $5 billion.

In a previous career I was a research engineer working in a clean room fabricating experimental semiconductor devices for SDI. Back then the typical working wafer size was 3" diameter. (I believe production size wafers were 4".) When I left the company in 1990, 6" wafers were in production and 8" wafers were on the way. I believe they are now up to 12" wafers.

Back
Top Bottom