Rolling over a 401k that includes after tax contributions

Stwicky

Dryer sheet aficionado
I have a $3mm 401k that I will be rolling over to a Trad IRA in the coming months. I am over 59-1/2. Any Roth IRA that I have is only two or three years old.

My 401k has about $190K in after tax contributions. When I roll this over I can direct these after tax contributions either to my bank account or to a Roth IRA. I anticipate buying a house later this year and need access to this $190k cash.

My question is: When I do this rollover, if I put the $190k into a Roth account, can I withdraw it later in the year for the house purchase? Is there any five year limitation on this money? Or just any earnings?

My (fairly uninformed) impression is that you can only take pro-rata distributions (i.e. you have to take both after-tax and pre-tax distributions in proportion). But, I'm very curious to see if anyone have a different answer.

If the $190K is entirely made up of contributions, then it's still treated as contributions after the rollover. You can always take contributions out of a Roth tax free, even if the account isn't 5 years old. You'll pay income tax on the earnings if you take them out before reaching the 5 year mark, but no penalty because you're over 59 1/2.

You will track the withdrawals on Form 8606 when you file your tax return.

Depending on how your 401 is handling the accounting you can direct the AT amount to a Roth and the rest to a Tira. I did this in 2013 with Fidelity. They managed our 401 and I did the whole thing in 20-30 minutes over the phone. The next year I had Vanguard pull both FIDO IRAs and then I consolidated them with existing ones eventually.

After the money is in the IRAs, no pro-rata rules apply. I've never tried to withdraw from a Roth IRA soon after money's arrival from a 401k, but I can't think of any limitations on doing so.

Depending on how your 401 is handling the accounting you can direct the AT amount to a Roth and the rest to a Tira. I did this in 2013 with Fidelity. They managed our 401 and I did the whole thing in 20-30 minutes over the phone. The next year I had Vanguard pull both FIDO IRAs and then I consolidated them with existing ones eventually.

That was my situation. While most of my 401k was pre-tax, there was a small piece that was after-tax contributions where I over contributed in a particular year. The 401k cut me two checks... one for the pre-tax account balance payable to my tIRA brokerage FBO pb4uski that I mailed to the brokerage as a transfer and a check for the after-tax balance.

I cashed the second check, but later found out that I could have rolled it into a Roth. Luckily, it was small and helped with cash flow in the first year of retirement.

Back
Top Bottom