Roth conversions with inherited IRAs?

The Cosmic Avenger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am thinking about Roth conversions, specifically, where to take them from. Our two 401(k)s are just about 50% of our investable assets, while my inherited IRAs:( are about 27%. So, withdrawals from both are income, the main difference is that we can draw down the inherited IRAs at any time, which could be a big help before 55 or 59.5, depending on the specifics. But are there any other consequences to either I'm missing? Other than the age limitation on the 401(k)s, and the RMDs on the iIRAs, which will definitely not be enough once we are in the withdrawal rather than accumulation phase, there will be no practical difference between withdrawing from the iIRAs vs. the 401(k)s, right?

You can't do Roth conversions from a non-spousal inherited IRA, so you can only convert from your 401k.

You can't do Roth conversions from a non-spousal inherited IRA, so you can only convert from your 401k.
Ah, thanks. I knew I was forgetting something -- having always been in the accumulation phase, I forgot that I won't even be able to put the catch-up amount in a Roth if we don't have income and it's not a conversion.

Back
Top Bottom