Seeing a doctor in Belgium or Amsterdam

I am talking about not finding any medicine section, none whatsoever, in grocery stores.

My question is: can one buy aspirin or acetaminophen outside of pharmacies?

In the UK, yes you certainly can in all supermarkets. When you responded to a post by marko talking about the UK I assumed you were also referring to the UK, not Spain or Italy and I don’t know the answer to that specific question. On the few occasions in Spain, France and Belgium that we’ve needed medicines we have gone to a pharmacy because you can easily speak to an assistant and explain what you are looking for.

Another option....

You could go on the Belgium or Netherlands tripadvisor forum and ask the question.

Provide the details on the Rx. With a bit of luck someone knowledgeable nay read the your forum question and respond. The do have location experts. Some kind person my read your post and actually check with a local pharmacist.

We have had all sorts of assistance from tripadvisor forum readers over the years in many, many countries/cities.

In the UK, yes you certainly can in all supermarkets. When you responded to a post by marko talking about the UK I assumed you were also referring to the UK, not Spain or Italy and I don’t know the answer to that specific question...

I remember looking around grocery stores in France too. Nothing.

I did not specifically look while in other Western Eropean countries like Portugal, Belgium, etc..., but if I happened to run across a medicine section there in grocery stores I would notice.

The above countries are where I spent a bit of time driving around, and bought food in grocery stores.

I visited London only once some years ago, and did not even go into grocery stores there.

Last edited:
Even in the largest grocery stores in France/Spain/Netherlands it’s mostly food/beverages and food-related items. Some paper products perhaps. Pet food.

Even in the largest grocery stores in France/Spain/Netherlands it’s mostly food/beverages and food-related items. Some paper products perhaps. Pet food.

I have been to several huge supermarkets in France, Spain, and Italy that carried a lot of household items and clothes too. It's not different than the larger grocery stores in the US.

I recall a store in Florence just right outside the ZTL area, and they had garden shed kits in the front area. I took a photo because the sheds had exotic model names, such as "Montana", "Nebraska", etc... :)

Of course, most of the grocery stores are smaller, the size of the Aldi stores here in the US.

But never did I see any self-served medicine racks displaying aspirin, cough syrups, antihistamine, etc...

Europe is different. So is SE Asia.

Do not waste your time looking for OTC in food stores. Go to a pharmacy. After hours look for the shining green sign outside that indicates the pharmacy is open. There is always one open at night.

Last time in Portugal we went into a pharmacy in Madeira. Pharmacist listened to our complaints. Asked some questions. Input data on her terminal.

Then a mechanical arm type thing came around with two products. Computerized pick and delivery system.

The pharmacist took out the two products, reviewed them with us...pros and cons. Then we selected one based on her comments and our recommendations.

We were out of there in fifteen minutes with the a product that provided relief for our complaint.

In a small town in Thailand we overcame the language issue with pointing etc, Got exactly what we wanted after ten minutes for 1/5 of what we paid in Canada for the same prescription. In Brazil and in Malaysia DW got drugs from the pharmacist without an Rx that in her hospital environment at home would normally be counted at the end of each 12 hr shift. They had street value. Cost was well under half what she paid for the same drug from a pharmacy in Canada.

We have met Americans on our travels who told us they routinely come up to Canada to buy insulin and something else because if is less than a third of what they pay in the US. I do not understand those discrepancies other than profitieering.

Last edited:
delete

In short:

I suspect that there might be laws in Western European countries limiting the sales of medicine to pharmacies only.

From Alan, we learned that the UK is the exception, where you can buy OTC drugs off-the-rack in grocery stores.

We have no trouble buying NyQuil.

My story is probably 30 years old now. NyQuil apparently was not available in the UK at that time. My friend was quite pleased with the elixir at the time.

When I was in some country a few years ago and couldn't find a US OTC remedy, I searched for it, found the active ingredient, searched for it on wikipedia then presented the molecule to the pharmacy attendant, who gave me a few choices, each having it's own mix of adjuncts in addition to the main compound.

But I did feel that there was little or no OTC section in many places, but pharmacies were on every corner, and often right inside the big grocery store.

Aldi and Lidl. No aspirin, but maybe socks, or screws, or earrings, or radios. You never know...

Indeed, there are a lot more little pharmacies in Italy than in the US. And yes, there have to be a lot of little pharmacies if people cannot go to a grocery store to get aspirin, loperamide (Imodium), etc...

The reason I initially tried to look for OTC drugs at the grocery stores (which may not be allowed to sell them) was the cost.

When I was in Venice recently, I ran out of Lactaid (enzyme for lactose intolerance). Knowing now not to bother looking elsewhere, I walked straight into a tiny pharmacy in an alley, and the pharmacist there immediately handed over a small box of 20 tablets. Cost: 10 euros.

The price of Lactase at Costco: $18 for 180 caplets.

I wonder what you would have to pay for a tube of Bengay, or some innocuous things like that.

They say that a pharmacist in Europe can give you medicine that in the US would require a prescription. I wonder how much authority they have. For example, can they give you antibiotics, or cough medicine with codeine?

Last edited:
When I was in some country a few years ago and couldn't find a US OTC remedy, I searched for it, found the active ingredient, searched for it on wikipedia then presented the molecule to the pharmacy attendant, who gave me a few choices, each having it's own mix of adjuncts in addition to the main compound.

But I did feel that there was little or no OTC section in many places, but pharmacies were on every corner, and often right inside the big grocery store.

Same happened to me in England. I use Miralax and it’s various generic names in the US from time to time but couldn’t find the equivalent in the stores or on pharmacy shelves so I asked the pharmacist in one store, showing her the empty bottle and they sold exact equivalents. However although no prescription needed they were behind the counter so you had to ask for them, and the pharmacist can then ask if you used it before, explain how to use it etc.

They say that a pharmacist in Europe can give you medicine that in the US would require a prescription. I wonder how much authority they have. For example, can they give you antibiotics, or cough medicine with codeine?

I used to stock up on cough medicine with codeine in Canada!

Dad once finally made it clear what product he needed (Milk of Magnesia) in Germany by writing down the chemical formula and showing it to the pharmacist.:D

I do not understand why this issue is in the least bit challenging.

Simply go into a local pharmacy, in either country, and ask the pharmacist is he/she can provide you with what you need....either same for same or an equiv. product.

If you need an Rx I have little doubt that the pharmacist can recommend a physician, clinic, etc, where you will be able to get an Rx.

Not very difficult. We have been able to do it almost seamlessly even when there was a bit of a language barrier. People will help you.

In Kuala Lumper DW need a supply of pain pills because of a back injury that occurred during our trip. Our next stop was Oz. DW wanted a three week supply. One pharmacy in the Petronus Towers S/C would not provide the pills. Company policy..UK chain. Rx required. The pharmacist directed her to a second pharmacy in the same complex. No problem....that second pharmacist simply asked how many strips she wanted. People will help you.

Last edited:
I used to stock up on cough medicine with codeine in Canada!

Similarly, I have not needed to get any medicine down in Mexico, but understand that the pharmacies down there will sell you anything, no prescription needed. The prices are lower too.

However, there are some US laws regarding import of drugs. Not too long ago, I read about an elderly man arrested by US customs at the border for bringing back a lot of certain drugs he said for personal use. There was no follow up to tell what penalty they threw at this man.

PS. About cough medicine with codeine, what's the shelf life? I will try to remember to [-]smuggle[/-] procure some the next time I visit Canada. :)

Last edited:
PS. About cough medicine with codeine, what's the shelf life? I will try to remember to [-]smuggle[/-] procure some the next time I visit Canada. :)

Sorry, but it's been years since I've bought any.

One other travel-related medication study: I was on a tour in Kathmandu and one couple asked if we could make a stop at a pharmacy to buy antibiotics, which were OTC there. The guide went in with them while we stayed on the giant tour bus. Roads in Kathmandu are narrow and still had many bad patches from a severe EQ a few years ago so the driver had to keep going around the block so other vehicles could get through, They were in there for almost half an hour and came out with large bags and happily announced they'd saved $300-$400 compared to prices back home. They owned horses so maybe it was for the horses- but we were annoyed when we realized no one was sick and they wasted everyone's time to save a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom