Selling house septic inspection

FWIW in our rural county the code requirements for septic systems have changed a number of times. The bottom line is that a septic system that was installed earlier than just a few years ago will be judged noncompliant. If not rebuilt to the new code prior to a sale, the buyer will have two years to remedy. It has nothing to do with whether the system is "working."

This is what happened on one house we owned. County passed a rule that ANY sale of a house with a septic system, the septic had to be brought up to current code regardless if it was working or not. There was no physical way our septic could be brought up to current code as the lot wasn't big enough.
So we had to pay to reach and attach to city sewer... fortunately it was "only" a couple of blocks away.

This is what happened on one house we owned. County passed a rule that ANY sale of a house with a septic system, the septic had to be brought up to current code regardless if it was working or not. There was no physical way our septic could be brought up to current code as the lot wasn't big enough.
So we had to pay to reach and attach to city sewer... fortunately it was "only" a couple of blocks away.

Do you know what would've happened if you weren't near sewer and no septic options worked? I think here you get one non-conforming fix, and then...not sure but can't be good.

I recently sold a non-conforming cabin and the thought of stricter rules were one of the reasons I sold.

Having sold a house recently with a septic we accepted 10K less without a septic inspection. Some things that work are better left "as is."

Do you know what would've happened if you weren't near sewer and no septic options worked? I think here you get one non-conforming fix, and then...not sure but can't be good.

I recently sold a non-conforming cabin and the thought of stricter rules were one of the reasons I sold.

The city and county had the stated goal of reducing the number of septic systems in use. The owner had to pay for it so there was no motivation for the governments involved to cut any slack.

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Oh, and appraisals are a joke. They seem to always add up to roughly the agreed-upon sale price...

Or what can be loaned for the property.

I'd explain to you that most people have enough sense to not pay too much, so the agreed sale price is probably reasonable and more importantly, supported by comparable sales. And most appraisers are honest, but there are bad apples like anything. Plus, the appraisal is for the lenders protection not yours as the borrower. Furthermore, I "killed" a number of overpriced sales in 31 years. But preferred to think of those deals as DOA. Which they were. :greetings10:

I could explain all day, but who cares, I am retired. :LOL: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom