Should I stay or go?

I think it is in the best interests of both you and your boss to ask about both the bonus AND the retirement contribution. His failure to communicate clearly about these issues has affected your relationship with him and your attitude toward the company. If he wants to retain good people, he needs to communicate more clearly so that there are not misunderstandings, which lead to resentment and, in cases like yours, incentive to leave rather than stay.

You are in a great position because you can go any time. I'm in a similar but much more awkward position -- was expecting a large bonus this year to account for the fact that I agreed to take on a much higher level of responsibility at work, but only got a minimal bonus that was much less than even the lowest levels suggested by management in the context of performance review/salary increases this year. But since I am waiting to see what happens with my position long-term, DH and I decided it was best not to question or challenge it because we don't want to jeopardize my chances at the possible permanent promotion to the higher level position I am filling on for. The whole thing has definitely affected my morale, however, and my perception of both my immediate boss and the whole organization. And moved me some distance down the road toward FIREing. In limbo for now while I wait to see what happens long-term. But if this eventually leads to me deciding to leave, I will be very forthright with my boss (who I like and respect) in my exit interview about how his/HR's bungling of this situation led to my decision to leave.

Definitely ask and given that they chose the lower hourly rate, to include bonus and such, I can easily understand while as matter of principal this irks you and as you say more money is great.

It sounds like you have a long and generally cordial relationship with the guy who uses your services. So I think it is worth explaining your frustration just to help him out in the future.

It sounds like your BS bucket is the size of coffee cup and they just dumped a coffee put on you. From the prospective of your employer they probably think they are doing you a favor. She only wanted to work a couple days a week, we meet her wage demands, and we let her work for home. What the hell more does she want?

It is pretty hard for employers to really understand that A. I don't really need the money. B. I don't really want to work here, so my BS tolerance is really low.
The shoe isn't often on the other foot in a employer/employee relationship so it take some getting use on there part. Ideally you want the employer to say look we have bent over backwards to accomodate you, but we can't give part time employee bonus or whatever the excuse is. At which it will be much easier for you to say, ok I really wanted to retire for years, aloha.

If you believe you have a deal with them to pay you a bonus in lieu of a higher hourly rate then you have every right to bring it up. Of course it always helps to have these deals in writing so as to avoid misunderstandings, especially over the passage of time. Nevertheless, if that's your deal, that's your deal and you should address it.

I retired from a very busy career earlier this year, and now I have a very casual part time, home based job that is very low stress and lets me do whatever I want while still making some money. I consider this my "fun" money. It makes me feel better about spending, rather than relying entirely on savings. My firecalc numbers are 100%, so I suppose I should feel just fine spending down my savings, but I just like having a little extra income coming in.

Only you can decide if you still like having this extra money, or if you're completely comfortable with your numbers and it just doesn't matter anymore. If it doesn't, then it sounds like it's just time to move on. Good luck with it.

I would ask, that way you know reasons.

If the reasons do not suit you, then take the line:
"Take this job and shove it"

Yes extra money is nice, but not if you must have it. From what you describe, you mental health is worth more than the small financial security benefit.

I'm just catching up on this thread. I completely understand the "security blanket" thing and letting that go is HARD. I also think you feel personally and professionally insulted about not receiving a bonus. I would feel the same way.

OTOH, you have a sweet work from home arrangement where you get paid fairly well for minimal stress so maybe you can just think of that as your bonus instead. Its all a frame of mind.

In your shoes I would probably ask about the bonus, just to get it out in the open (and because I know I wouldn't be able to NOT ask !). You could then voice your displeasure. I'd bet that discussing it openly would help you put it behind you and allow you to assess the "should I go ?" decision without emotional baggage.

If I had an employee working 8 hours a week, I would NOT expend political capitol to get a raise for this person ... too small potatoes. Save it for the full timers.

If I had an employee working 8 hours a week, I would NOT expend political capitol to get a raise for this person ... too small potatoes. Save it for the full timers.

It isn't the issue of a raise that is bothering me. It is not getting the bonus that I've gotten every year since I went part-time. It is that I had an explicit deal to be paid $X an hour and get bonuses and raises instead of being $more than X with no bonuses and raises.

In this case, I also don't think it is an issue of my mentor not expending political capital. We have worked together for over 30 years with me his closest right hand person. It is hard to explain just how close a relationship this is. I have no doubt that he would fight for me and has done so on a couple of occasions even after I went part-time. I think that one of two things is most likely to be true. He fought and lost. Or, he thought that when I changed to working from home that that changed things in a way that made the original deal different. I certainly didn't think that, but maybe he did.

It isn't the issue of a raise that is bothering me. It is not getting the bonus that I've gotten every year since I went part-time. It is that I had an explicit deal to be paid $X an hour and get bonuses and raises instead of being $more than X with no bonuses and raises.

In this case, I also don't think it is an issue of my mentor not expending political capital. We have worked together for over 30 years with me his closest right hand person. It is hard to explain just how close a relationship this is. I have no doubt that he would fight for me and has done so on a couple of occasions even after I went part-time. I think that one of two things is most likely to be true. He fought and lost. Or, he thought that when I changed to working from home that that changed things in a way that made the original deal different. I certainly didn't think that, but maybe he did.

As many people have said, I think including me, that you should ask...

Why have you not done so:confused:

As many people have said, I think including me, that you should ask...

Why have you not done so:confused:

I probably will ask the next time that I talk to the person in question. He was out of town for the holidays and I haven't spoken to him since he got back.

Ask him. The check may be stuck on his desk. If not, send him a bill for the $10/hr difference. That was the deal, no? Remind them that they had their choice. Since they did not live up to it, you would be within your rights to invoice the difference. All of this assumes that everything you've described is in writing.

Good luck

R

Back
Top Bottom